[SOLVED] 2 powerline interferance?

Sep 23, 2020
so i was on WIFI for a good year and then started to get drop outs, my housemate has been on powerline adpater for the whole time before we had no issues. I've recently brought a powerline too and we are both on them now, but my connection is now great, but it seems he is expericning lag spikes and high ping now? any pointers?

Thanks!

Solution
So the vast majority of powerline units are going to be based on a standard called homeplug. These are marked av200,av500 or the newer av2-1000 and av2-2000.

If you are lucky then all of them run the same speed. If not they will negotiate a speed that the slowest units support.

You want to get 1 pair working correctly. Then take 1 unit and pair it with the device by the router. So you have 1 powerline by the router and then the 2 remote unit both talk to that one. They technically send traffic to each other if you wanted them to since it is all one network.

The very tricky part is how do you get them to pair. You are going to have to read the instructions on both brands. Many times there are buttons you...
What you need to do is make a network out of 3 powerline devices. They "should" be able to interconnect even between brands.
If you run 2 independent pairs of powerline device they will interfere the same way your neighbor wifi interferes with your wifi. Powerline networks actually works very similar to wifi it just runs on wires.

Reactions: SamirD
Sep 23, 2020
What you need to do is make a network out of 3 powerline devices. They "should" be able to interconnect even between brands.
If you run 2 independent pairs of powerline device they will interfere the same way your neighbor wifi interferes with your wifi. Powerline networks actually works very similar to wifi it just runs on wires.

so how do you go about that? basically he has virgin media ones, one in the router, one to his pc. I have tp link ones, one to the router one to my PC a total of 4 at the moment. So it's a case of having 3 of them to not have the issue? Is there a easy way to set this up?

thanks!

So the vast majority of powerline units are going to be based on a standard called homeplug. These are marked av200,av500 or the newer av2-1000 and av2-2000.

If you are lucky then all of them run the same speed. If not they will negotiate a speed that the slowest units support.

You want to get 1 pair working correctly. Then take 1 unit and pair it with the device by the router. So you have 1 powerline by the router and then the 2 remote unit both talk to that one. They technically send traffic to each other if you wanted them to since it is all one network.

The very tricky part is how do you get them to pair. You are going to have to read the instructions on both brands. Many times there are buttons you press on both units and this causes them to sync with each other. Many units also have the ability to be configured with a software utility form a pc. You in worst case would have to key in some password/key to make them sync.

This is generally why it is recommended you buy exactly the same brand and model to make sync them easier. BUT the while purpose of the homeplug standard is to allow devices from different manufactures to function together so they should all work together.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Sep 23, 2020
So basically, we tried to pair my tp-link with the virgin media powerline adapter my housemate has and we had no luck... I feel like we have to have the same brand which sucks as you can't buy just 1 powerline adapter... they always seem to come in pairs.

I never heard of virgin media brand powerline so I went looking for the specs and found something about comtrend. The key thing I remember about comtrend is they sell powerline units based on a different standard (gnn I think) rather than homeplug. Not sure why they use this other standard but these are not compatible. That is the whole reason for a standard everyone uses.

So you are out of luck on this one. You are going to have to buy a third device that matches one pair or the other. You can if you look find single units.

Sep 23, 2020
I never heard of virgin media brand powerline so I went looking for the specs and found something about comtrend. The key thing I remember about comtrend is they sell powerline units based on a different standard (gnn I think) rather than homeplug. Not sure why they use this other standard but these are not compatible. That is the whole reason for a standard everyone uses.

So you are out of luck on this one. You are going to have to buy a third device that matches one pair or the other. You can if you look find single units.

ahh damn, thought so as the virgin one didn't have a powerline key to use to link either in that case. I couldn't actually find any that have just 1 powerline adapter which is weird glad i know now annyways.

Bummer. :( bill001g is right on this one where the two standards are definitely different.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can add a switch to any powerline and connect more devices, so that may be one route if things are close enough.

If you're going to need to get another set of powerlines, I would simply get a new set as they will probably be faster. Or at least test which one of the two sets performs better and get another pair of that set.