[SOLVED] 2 PSU died in a new config, how ?

Feb 19, 2021
Hello,

I buyed a new motherboard Gigabyte b450m ds3h v2, new RAM Crucial Ballistix 2x8GO DDR4 3000 mhz, and new APU AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, I connected an old PSU that was working fine 6 months ago (but not used since) OCZ Technology StealthXStream 500W, PSU died after 2 or 3 seconds, it maked a sound like "clack" and smelled a little burn, but did not know it was the PSU that died. So I removed the OCZ PSU, and used an LC Power 550 watt that was working fine also 6 months ago (but not used since), by removing everything connected, it was only Motherboard, CPU and RAM, the LC power did the same thing but more loud.

That happened without even turning on the PC, just putting ON the 2 PSU and they died.

Is my motherboard killing PSU, or the CPU, or anything else, I suspect the CPU being faulty, because the compagny that sold me the CPU was MPK, and I know that sometimes some sell you a used CPU, sometimes by mistake or on purpose. But can a CPU even kill PSU ?

I build a lot of PC, a lot of things happened, but like this never... Everything I had was brand and quality...

Keyboard removed lke everything else for the second PSU, and the ram is good brand Crucial

"Good brand" does not mean "not defective".

I ask because the only thing that should be "live" when you plug in the PSU to the motherboard is the +5VSB. That powers a few things on the board, including RAM.

Alternately, you might have an extra standoff on the bottom of the board that's shorting +5VSB to +12V, which does not have SCP in most PSUs.

Reactions: nasserk
Feb 19, 2021
This may also indicate problem with mains voltage. Do you have other equipment that fail?
No, never, I have a laptop that I use all the time, always work fine.

Alternately, you might have an extra standoff on the bottom of the board that's shorting +5VSB to +12V, which does not have SCP in most PSUs.
Have you used standoffs between motherboard and cabinet ?

Standoffs is the golden things used to put motherboard on PC case ?
How it can short ? (I must precise, the second PSU I tried was outside of PC case, if it can help as information).

Feb 19, 2021
I don't want to be the bearer of very bad news...it may not just be the motherboard, just saying.......
No problem, I just don't want to buy new things when I have hardware working good, a friend buyed new PC, because someone in the internet told him PC completely died..., but after inspection with me it had only a burned PSU, everything else worked fine, so I changed PSU and PC worked fine for 4 years...
I am not rich, so if anything is working fine, I need to know it before buying new parts lol

I just checked, no extra standoff touching the motherboard...

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
No problem, I just don't want to buy new things when I have hardware working good, a friend buyed new PC, because someone in the internet told him PC completely died..., but after inspection with me it had only a burned PSU, everything else worked fine, so I changed PSU and PC worked fine for 4 years...
I am not rich, so if anything is working fine, I need to know it before buying new parts lol

That's not a problem, I wonder if anyone else can vouch for me to say that a PSU making cracking sounds and a burning smell that follows it, is not a good thing for motherboards and other components

In actual fact, I'd just googled it
https://www.quora.com/Can-a-blown-power-supply-damage-a-motherboard?share=1
I'm not trying to scare you or put you off buying parts

But if you buy a new PSU, it might follow suit with the others

Feb 19, 2021
An advice about best quality 500/600 watts PSU that will not die and just turn off when that kind of problems happens, will surely help, what do you recommand guys ?

Feb 19, 2021
That's not a problem, I wonder if anyone else can vouch for me to say that a PSU making cracking sounds and a burning smell that follows it, is not a good thing for motherboards and other components

In actual fact, I'd just googled it
https://www.quora.com/Can-a-blown-power-supply-damage-a-motherboard?share=1
I'm not trying to scare you or put you off buying parts

But if you buy a new PSU, it might follow suit with the others

I shutdown power in 1 second, it's enough to kill everything in PC ?

Feb 19, 2021
You mean the motherboard was outside of the PC case?
I tested now with new PSU, outside of the PC case, and removing battery CMOS, it boot up perfectly, everything worked, nothing dead, neither Processor, Ram, Graphic Cards, or SSD/HDD hopefully, so only the PSU...

But still, did not understood very well what happened with the 2 PSU..., could be humidity entered the 2 PSU ? Or a weird short circuit cause by the PC Case ?