jemmusic

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
this might be a dumb qustion for some but i dont know the answer.. i know quad core is 4 processors what is 2 quad core ? is that 8 processors ?

also correct me if am wrong but the higher the ghz in a pc the faster the pc will be ? i have a 3ghz now p4 and want to get a new pc but i think i should b looking for something higher in ghz then what i have now.. and thinking quad core would be the way to go ... i game and video edit

What do you mean by "2 quad core?" An Intel Core 2 Quad is a quad-core (4 cores); the "Core 2" part is just Intel branding.

As to clock speed (gigahertz) it's a component but not a measure of performance. The architecture (design of the CPU) has a lot to do with it, as a better designed core can get more work done in the same number of clock cycles. Intel is good at that right now and each newer generation of Intel CPUs is faster per core at the same clock speeds. AMD is behind Intel in this measure.

jemmusic

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
yes 2 core quad am sorry .... cause i see pc's that are like quad core 2.4ghz but wouldnt i wanna look at lets say a pc thats quad core 3gz or higher for faster performance ?

jemmusic

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

oohhh k thats what i wanna know ... cause am at 3 ghz now and am seeing all these pc's that are dual core quade core but most are less than 3ghz . and am thinking well my upgraded pc has to be a quad core and more than 3ghz . but know i see thats not the case thank you for that info.
also just to clear this up ...when a pc is lets say quad core 2.4ghz does that mean that its 2.4ghz per core and so on ?

I think you are talking about a "Core 2 Quad," which is an older quad-core CPU made by Intel. The Core 2 Quad was actually the first widely-sold quad-core processor. Current mainstream quad-core processors like the Core i5-3xxx series and the AMD FX-41xx series are noticeably faster than the Core 2 Quad. High-end CPUs have 6-8 cores now as well.

Two quad-core processors would give you eight cores. However unless you are looking at expensive workstations or a server, you likely won't ever see a computer with two processors.

also correct me if am wrong but the higher the ghz in a pc the faster the pc will be ? i have a 3ghz now p4 and want to get a new pc but i think i should b looking for something higher in ghz then what i have now.. and thinking quad core would be the way to go ... i game and video edit

Clock speed (GHz) is only one determinant of CPU performance. Number of cores and the overall design of the chip are really more important than raw clock speed. Your P4 for example runs at 3.0 GHz but it is very inefficient with what it does with its GHz. A modern quad-core CPU running at 3 GHz will be at least twice as fast as your P4 and in certain tasks that use a lot of cores, probably closer to 8 times as fast as your P4 has only one core. If you want to do heavy duty video editing, get a CPU with six or more cores. The more cores, the merrier.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
And I also want to add this, just in case: Each core runs at the processor's stated speed, however this does not stack (so a quad-core running at 2.4 GHz doesn't mean that overall it runs at 9.6 GHz). Really wanted to make this clear, as I've seen a resurgence of misleading claims on this.

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
that computer doesn't come with a hard drive or operating system and is using onboard graphics (which are bad for gaming). keep that in mind when buying off ebay, the os and hdd would cost around £160ish (around $260?) in the uk depending on HDD size.

jemmusic

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

i have my own hd and graph card