2 questions (ati vs. sapphire & GPU for 512 MB)

blind_masseur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
My first question is regarding video cards with GPU's actually capable of processing graphics that would require more than 256MB of memory. I was originally going to get a SAPPHIRE X1950PRO 512MB or ATI X1650PRO 512MB, but was advised that neither of those cards had a GPU capable of processing graphics that could use that ammount of memory and should just go with a 256MB card. It was suggested to me that it would be possible that a SAPPHIRE X1950XT 512MB would have a GPU capable for processing graphics requiring that much memory ("that much" being greater than 256MB but less than 512MB), but the suggestor was not sure, so I cam here for help. If anyone could let me know if that card is capable, please let me know. Thanks.

My second question is regarding ATI versus SAPPHIRE. I did a lot of internet browsing and from what I could find, the only conclusion people had were warranty value and manufacteurer support. Does anyone here know anythings? Thanks again.

P.S. I did a search on these boards but didn't find anything, but forgive me if I missed a topic about that. Thanks.

tlmck

Distinguished
Not sure how to answer your first question, but I have owned both Sapphire and ATI brand cards and have had good luck with both. I had another made by Power Color that worked, but suffered from poor performance. This may have been due to the chip set(x1600 Pro).

You could go ahead and get the 512 version of the Sapphire. It is only slightly more expensive at Newegg right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ion=X1950PRO&name=Sapphire+Technology+Limited

blind_masseur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
To better explain my first question, I was originally going to get a Sapphire X1950PRO 512MB, but was told not to bother with getting 512MB because it's GPU was not capable of processing graphics that would require more than 256MB of memory.

If that makes sense to everyone, I was wondering what cards do have a GPU capable? Specifically, does the Sapphire X1950XT 512MB ? Thanks.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
in a simple answer, yes.

in a complicated answer, yes but you would be better off spending money on an 8800gts if you can afford it, instead of an x1950xt/x