2 questions regarding Asus GTX 970 DC Mini

Frozen82

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Bought Asus GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5 last week.
It went too loud to hoot on stock cooler in Corsair Carbide 240 for my taste..it odes the work but sound like a vacuum cleaner when it goes over 80 degree in full load.

So, i replace the VGA cooler with my old AC Accelero Xtreme ( used for years on 5870)..
I know its an overkill but its the only VGA cooler I have that can be mounted on the card.
I ran into 2 problems:

1) When mounted the fans wont work.MSI afterburner manual fan control does nothing.
Or when I set them to trigger at GPU 100% when it reach 60 degree it does keep the temperature but not by activating the fans but by lowering clocks-to 300 Mhz.
They do work before windows launch (Win 10) and then they stop.
I did temper with power settings in win (performance, power saving etc.) but it odes nothing.
This problem only appeared with new cooler. Stock cooler runs normal, manual or auto.

Is it some GPU bios restriction specific to this model? 3 fans on VGA cooler too much? Or is it driver issue? Or Windows? Is there a fix?

2) Fixed 1) kind off...connecting VGA cooler directly to the power supply. It runs 100% but at least its could and when the case is closed not so loud.

My problem-is it safe?
PCB on the card looks thinner than of my old 5870...not to mention smaller length.

stavrosmast

Honorable
I would recomend to you to revert to older windows or wait for drivers updates and windows updates. It is safe to use anpther cooler as it keeps it to safe temps. If on the stock 970 cooler you put the fan to 60% it keeps it in normal temps? If not you should claim your warranty but also what is the room temp?

Frozen82

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
By safe i mean could it break the card because PCB looks thin, its a small card and a huge cooler.
I doubt it could brake around mount points ( 4 screws round GPU) but maybe round PCI socket.