Jd

My computer has slowed down tremendously the last couple of days.
I've defraged the hard drive and ran norton's checkup and scaned for
viruses and deleted temp internet file and cookies to no avail. I have
discovered however a few processes running in the background that are
dominating my cpu performance and am suspicious of this activity. One
of theses processes is HARDINFO.EXE, along with catlog.exe. I don't
know what these are, or what program they are related too. I located
them both in a subfolder of Windows called prefetch, which has about
40 other type files they are listed as .pf files. Does anyone know if
this could be my problem are is this normal? I've tried to end the
process but they just pop back up. I've also deleted them to no avail.
As they again just pop back up.
Second question:
How do you reformat the C drive with XP pro? I figure if I
can't fix this problem I'll do a clean install of XP and that should
do it, since I've got alot of junk files. With ME you had a Dos
prompt. Can I do it by entering the Dos prompt in safe mode? C:
format? But if I do this will the computer recognize the D drive so I
can load the CD to reinstall? I remember using a boot disc with Win 95
and ME but I don't think you can make one with XP. And if so I also
have a 2nd hard drive, if I erase the C drive and reinstall XP will
this effect my F drive? Anybody offering suggestions are instruction
will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi jd,

1) You are infested with spyware programs. Use these to help undo the
damage:

Adaware www.lavasoft.de
Spybot www.safer-networking.org

This one can help you avoid these programs from being installed in the first
place:
Spyware Blaster: www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

2) Boot the WinXP CD, start the installation process. At the point where you
choose the installation location, instead delete the existing system
partition. Then create a new one, format, and proceed with setup. This is
the way to get a clean install with WinXP.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone