2 ram slots not running dual channel

m.robertson077

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
I have all 4 slots filled with ddr3 ram, the ones in 1 and 3 and running dual channel but 2 and 4 aren't - they are running single channel

How would I go about getting 2 and 4 dual channel?

Solution

None the less, did you Switch sticks 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 to see if single channel mode moves? Try switching 3 and 2 to see what happens. You can switch them back afterwards. When your stuck on a problem you have to test different ideas, even if you don't expect they will work. It may give you new clues to an...
How are you sure it's not running dual channel, it could be a reporting error.

1. Make sure all sticks are pressed down firmly and connecting, it can be hard to see.
2. Switch sticks 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 and see if the single channel moves to 1 and 3. You may have 1 bad stick of ram.

likely the SDRAM in 2-4 are either not same size, same type, or likely was not a paired set of ram.
The fact is : when you buy single stick of ram even though it says dual channel, when you match it to another stick of SDRAM later it doesn't not always work in dual channel but fall back to single channel mode.

Pull the ram out and list both model/make of the sticks your having issues in question.

m.robertson077

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017

Sorry for not replying sooner, Chrome wouldn't work when replying.

All the sticks are made by Samsung - 2 & 4 are M378B5773CH0-CH9 2Gb each ddr3

m.robertson077

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017

Used CPU-Z and another program I forgot the name of. Checked all the ram before putting it in and they all worked perfectly.

None the less, did you Switch sticks 1 and 3 with 2 and 4 to see if single channel mode moves? Try switching 3 and 2 to see what happens. You can switch them back afterwards. When your stuck on a problem you have to test different ideas, even if you don't expect they will work. It may give you new clues to an eventual solution.

Solution