2 RAM slots not working

PyroMSI

Reputable
May 8, 2017
Hello everyone,

Im in need of some advice here, I hope someone can help me out.

Im having issues with my pc not booting whenever I put a stick of RAM in one of the channel A ram dimms.
The B dimms are both working fine, but to run my 2x8gb in dual channel, I should use A2 and B2 wich doesnt work, and gives me a yellow dram led.

Motherboard: ASUS Strix z270e gaming.
Other components:
I7 7700k cpu
Be Quiet 700w psu
2x8gb corsair ram. Also tried 2x8gb gskill ram.
Msi 1080 gaming z gpu.

Now I have tried to get everything up to date, like the bios, I have reseated the cpu, and I have tested all individual ram slots. With 1 or 2 sticks inserted.
Whenever theres ram in one of the A1 of A2 dimms, I get the dram led and no boot.

I contacted asus and told them everything. They said, try reset cmos and if it doesnt work, send the mobo to where you bought it.

I tried everything I can think of, nothing works, so I returned the mobo.

I JUST got an email, they tested my board with 4x8gb ram and evertything works fine. I HAVE TO pay 35 euros becouse therea nothing wrong with the board.

Now what????? I have tested new ddr4 ram and a new i7 7700k CPU. Do i need another cpu cooler? Im out of ideas here. Please any suggestions?

InvalidError

Titan
When one of my friends put together his i5-8400 and couldn't boot with a DIMM on one of the channels, I had him remove the CPU and he found two crooked pins in the socket. He straightened them up and that fixed his no-boot / only one channel working issues.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
There could have been something like dirt in the slots which prevented proper contact with the ram sticks. There's no reason for them not to work if they work in another slot. I don't know what your cooler would have to do with this.

If they tested them and then they don't work when you get the board back, I would suggest you do a video on the issue and send it to them.

Regardless, "dual" or "quad" channel is just a marketing gimmick when talking consumer boards. It makes no real world difference. It would only affect you if you were running a database server or something like that with tons of transactions per second. There's no benefit for gaming or average working conditions.

PyroMSI

Reputable
May 8, 2017
Yeah, i checkes for bent pins when I reseated the cpu, but couldnt find any.
And also at the store its working wothout any issues, so if there was a bent pin, I think they would also have failed booting.

Maybe I should try losening up the cpu cooler a bit. Thanks for your answer I will re-check the pins when the mobo is returned to my home

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
In which shop did you purchase your components?
Did you get your CPU and memory together with board?
It may be a problem with CPU memory controller being bad...
Anyway, in case you purchased those together, I would just throw all 3 components on them that they do not work together and let them deal with the problem.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

I would beg to differ, there might be quite a difference in application that is sensitive for memory latency and bandwidth which actually double when compared to single channel mode.
In games like GTA or Metro last light you could see up to 15% fps difference at peak times. Also for usages as decompresion, encryptions or video processing having dual channel have a positive effect.

And that's when not even stating about issues that some boards might have if you run unbalanced memory setup or lower frequency limit for memory.

jr9

Estimable
You definitely want dual channel. Going to quad channel may not do anything for you but dual channel does have an performance impact. In some games like BF1 single channel memory can be a significant bottleneck.

If they got a 4x8GB kit to run then I would try both kits in slots A2-B2 or B1-A1 again. Try installing the RAM with a little extra force. If you still can't get either of those configurations working I would suspect either a bent socket pin or an issue with the processor.

If I had to figure out what was wrong with this system I'd try both kits and if neither worked I would test the processor and one of the RAM kits on a different motherboard to ensure they are working.

PyroMSI

Reputable
May 8, 2017

I didnt purchase all my hardware at that store.
First I had a MSI z270 gaming pro carbon, I had serious problems with booting/crashes/BSOD's.
I bought new 2x8 DDR4 RAM, didnt fix the problem. Then returned the mobo and cpu.
MSI gave me a new mobo, Intel gave me a new i7 7700k.

I have put the MSI z270 in my girlfriends PC, and I bought a new Asus strix z270e gaming.

So I have a New I7 7700k, a new Asus strix z270e gaming, and new ram.
The shit doesnt boot...
Tried ram in different positions.
With the RAM in slots B1 and B2, the system works fine, gamed on it for weeks without any problems,
my pc is a beast :D

Then I read the motherboard instructions, and it says when using 2 ram sticks, I need to use A2 and B2
so its working in 'dual channel'.

I tried it again, but whenever theres RAM in one of the A1 or A2 dimms, my system wont boot and I get a DRAM led.

SO:
Since its working fine with the DDR4 RAM in slots B1 and B2, with 16 gb detected, running at 3600mhz (xmp)
and the CPU also working fine on all new games and calculating tasks..
I was thinking it HAS to be the motherboard.... I saw on google, more ppl had problems with this mobo
and the ram dimms..

and now the store tests it and it works fine!!

What can it be more?
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W (80PLUS Platinum)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming Z 8G

RAM kits I have:
currently in my gfs pc: G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2400
My own: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 2x8gb 3600

I will test both ram kits

Oct 13, 2021
Issue. I had an issue on MSI Z390 MPG gaming plus. Memory slot B2 not working. No post. Tried various things across google. I could only make it work with slot A2
solved: my RAM was not in the supported. Bought supported RAM and A2+B2 combination worked.
Thanks