Mar 26, 2020
Recently I downloaded CPU-Z to check if my RAM was correctly installed because it was underperforming, and I discovered that it is set to single channel mode even though I had 2 sticks om RAM installed. When I launch BIOS, it says that they ARE in dual channel mode, but CPU-Z still says it's in single channel. I do have the full 16 GB of RAM available. How can this be?
I've also got another weird issue, when I try to change my memory frequency to 1600 Hz, my system doesn't boot. So now I have it set to a lower frequency than it is actually capable of.
How do I set my RAM up, so that it is using its full potentail?

-They're in the right slots
-I have done a CMOS reset which did not work
-There are no bent or broken pins on my CPU

I have a ASRock N68C-GS4 FX motherboard, GeForce GTX 1060 card ,AMD FX-8300 Eight-Core processor and 16 GB of RAM 1600 Hz KHX1600C 10D3/8G.

Thank you in advance

Solution
Probably just an issue with CPU-Z not recognizing that your motherboard supports both DDR2 and DDR3. I would not worry about it I'd trust your BIOS at this point.

-Wolf sends
When you are looking in CPU-z, which tab do you look at?

If you are looking in the "SPD" tab, you might be confusing single rank / dual rank with single channel / dual channel.

The channel mode is displayed in the "Memory" tab instead

That might not be the issue, but then at least, that is crossed off the list

Mar 26, 2020
When you are looking in CPU-z, which tab do you look at?

If you are looking in the "SPD" tab, you might be confusing single rank / dual rank with single channel / dual channel.

The channel mode is displayed in the "Memory" tab instead

That might not be the issue, but then at least, that is crossed off the list
Yeah I looked in the right place I think.
In the "Memory" tab it's says Chanel # Single
The "SPD" tab says it has dual rank.

WildCard999

Titan
I've only got 2 memory slots for DDR3. I can't seem to find that option in my BIOS, it's quite old but it's the latest version for my motherboard so either I don't have it, or I'm not looking in the right spot.
Per the motherboard manual the A2/B2 (black) slots are for DDR3 and the A1/B1 (yellow) are for DDR2. I wanted to ensure your using the correct slots.

As for XMP there is a option to enable a settings similar to it which sets the memory at the correct speed, voltage & timings. For that generation it may of been called something different.

Mar 26, 2020
Per the motherboard manual the A2/B2 (black) slots are for DDR3 and the A1/B1 (yellow) are for DDR2. I wanted to ensure your using the correct slots.

As for XMP there is a option to enable a settings similar to it which sets the memory at the correct speed, voltage & timings. For that generation it may of been called something different.
Are you sure there is an option like that on this version? How can I recognize such an option?

Mar 26, 2020
It may be called AMP, usually in the performance tab of the BIOS.
I found an option under the tab "OC-Tweaker" that's called AMD AMP which I think refers to my CPU. But I think it helped turning that on as I am now able to boot with 1600 Hz!
Though I've still got a problem with my memory not being in dual channel mode

You should check in the bios for the memory timings to make sure they are correct, because CPU-Z is reporting Cas Latency as 31 which is nearly 3x higher than it should ever be for ddr3 1600. It should be no higher than CL 11 for DDR3 1600Mhz (800Mhz.)

Edit - Actually I think the Cas Latency is so high because you are using a dual rank high density DDR3 module when the board likely wasn't suppose to even work with more than 4GB per module with low density dual rank modules.

Edit 2 - I was wrong about the high density ram actually. The max memory is 16GB so 2x8GB works fine. It may be something wrong with the motherboard, the memory or you need a bios update.

Last edited: