[SOLVED] 2 RAM sticks or 4.

sharpieface

Reputable
Feb 20, 2018
Hello.
Currently I'm using 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX Fury RAM. I'm looking for a new motherboard and want to upgrade my RAM aswell.
Most of the motherboards I'm interested have 4 DIMM slots. Since I want to upgrade my RAM aswell could I just get 2 more RAM sticks with the same speed (2133Mhz) and go for another 2x4GB or maybe even 2x8GB for a total of 16GB or 24GB.
Most people say always go for 2 sticks instead of 4, but why most of motherboard have 4?

Side question 1: Is it good to have 2x4GB and 2x8GB RAM on the same motherboard or can't mix different sizes and would have to go for 4x4GB.
If I would replace my old 2x4GB ram with 2x8GB RAM I would have 2 sticks of RAM that would sit in a box for the future (not what I want).

Side question 2: If I end up going with having 4 RAM sticks, do all of them must have the same speed?

Solution
2 sticks is optimal when discussing dual-channel motherboards. I think motherboards have 4 RAM slots because Windows (and other OSs) can utilize more RAM than what you can buy in 2 sticks. Other high-end desktop and server motherboards can utilize quad-channel RAM, but that's another topic.

It is questionable to mix and match different RAM kits. They don't always work together, but sometimes they do. You would want to get the exact same specifications (timings, voltage, and speed) to try to mix and match. Memory size would have less impact on compatibility than timings, voltage, and speed.

If you replaced with a 2x8GB kit, you would have 2x4GB leftover to use elsewhere or sell and help make up the cost of your new RAM.

Yes, you...
2 sticks is optimal when discussing dual-channel motherboards. I think motherboards have 4 RAM slots because Windows (and other OSs) can utilize more RAM than what you can buy in 2 sticks. Other high-end desktop and server motherboards can utilize quad-channel RAM, but that's another topic.

It is questionable to mix and match different RAM kits. They don't always work together, but sometimes they do. You would want to get the exact same specifications (timings, voltage, and speed) to try to mix and match. Memory size would have less impact on compatibility than timings, voltage, and speed.

If you replaced with a 2x8GB kit, you would have 2x4GB leftover to use elsewhere or sell and help make up the cost of your new RAM.

Yes, you will want all your RAM to be the same speed else they may not work together.

It is always recommended to get a new kit to replace your old RAM to ensure compatibility.

Solution

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Hello, So currently you have 2 sticks of ram in dual channel if you upgrade your ram to 4 stick it will work better(not only because of the increased gb amount) so for example 16gb in dual channel will run a little but sliwer than 16gb in quad channel. Bacically if you want to add more ram you need to add exactly the same model, speed, brand, size etc. Because mixing speeds and capacity will most likely lead to an error in system and your pc won’t boot. I hope that I answered all of your questions :D