[SOLVED] 2 ram sticks work but 4 do not.

Justatmos

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
I have recently bought a 4x8 3200 tridentz kit , and when I use any two sticks in slots 2 and 4 my computer works just fine, but when I put the remaining two in, no matter the configuration, it blue screens after the screen with the windows logo with the spinning loading bar, with a different error message every time.
Specs:
MSI MP5 X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
Ryzen 7 2700x
Gtx 1060

Solution
Here is the link to what I bought
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232317?Item=N82E16820232317
Yes, the ram is on my motherboards QVL, I'm not sure how to reset my bios or update it really, and the last time I checked my bios it said my ram was running at 1866 or something close to that, I'm not sure if that's good or not, having it that low. Thanks for the help!
If you want to keep that kit, you might need to manually set timings and voltages for CPU & RAM.

I suggest you get a 2 module RAM kit to have the better outcome.
Also you could get a 4 RAM module kit from the QVL or one that is optimized for Ryzen platform.

I do not see that RAM kit (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKW) listed on the QVL of your...
What's' the model of the RAM kit?

Four modules are harder to run at high speed, since it requires more power from the CPU memory controller.
Is that kit listed on the motherboard QVL?
Make sure to have the latest BIOS, reset BIOS to default and try 2933MHz and see if it works.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Justatmos

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
What's' the model of the RAM kit?

Four modules are harder to run at high speed, since it requires more power from the CPU memory controller.
Is that kit listed on the motherboard QVL?
Make sure to have the latest BIOS, reset BIOS to default and try 2933MHz and see if it works.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232317?Item=N82E16820232317
Yes, the ram is on my motherboards QVL, I'm not sure how to reset my bios or update it really, and the last time I checked my bios it said my ram was running at 1866 or something close to that, I'm not sure if that's good or not, having it that low. Thanks for the help!

Ryzen memory support is tied closely not only to the motherboard, but also to the processor used as well as the number of slots in play.
You need to look at the QVL chart for the older 2000 series processors:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#support-mem-14
I do see similar ram on the g.skil column, but only for 2 stick installation.

Looking at the g.skil support page for your motherboard/cpu combo, I do not see your exact ram kit as being supported.
Here are 4 supported kits with near your specs:

Justatmos

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019
Ryzen memory support is tied closely not only to the motherboard, but also to the processor used as well as the number of slots in play.
You need to look at the QVL chart for the older 2000 series processors:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#support-mem-14
I do see similar ram on the g.skil column, but only for 2 stick installation.

Looking at the g.skil support page for your motherboard/cpu combo, I do not see your exact ram kit as being supported.
Here are 4 supported kits with near your specs:
So should I try and sell my current kit and get one of the ones on the supported page mentioned? or is there anything I can do to remedy my current issues? Thanks for your help!

If you want to keep that kit, you might need to manually set timings and voltages for CPU & RAM.

Also you could get a 4 RAM module kit from the QVL or one that is optimized for Ryzen platform.

I do not see that RAM kit (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKW) listed on the QVL of your motherboard.
That kit, as per G.SKILL site, is optimized for Intel Z370 and X99 platforms.

RAM modules or kits might look similar but they might not be.
The similar QVL listed G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-64GTZN RAM kit , is a 2 RAM module kit with a Samsung die.

The G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKW is a 4 RAM module kit with a Hynix die.

Solution

Justatmos

Commendable
Sep 30, 2019

I do not see that RAM kit (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKW) listed on the QVL of your motherboard.
That kit, as per G.SKILL site, is optimized for Intel Z370 and X99 platforms.

RAM modules or kits might look similar but they might not be.
The similar QVL listed G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-64GTZN RAM kit , is a 2 RAM module kit with a Samsung die.

The G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKW is a 4 RAM module kit with a Hynix die.
Thank you for all the info! Ill have to be more careful in the future about what I buy, but how would you recommend I go about manually setting the timings and voltages? I know how to literally do it in my bios but I wasn't sure if there's like a process that works best. Thank you!

zhiyeliu

Contributing Writer
Editor
Jan 24, 2019
Look in the user manual. There's a section on how to update the motherboard's BIOS. It's definitely something that you should look into. There has been a couple of firmwares for that motherboard that helped improve memory compatibility. Who knows? It might save you some manual tuning time.

Thank you for all the info! Ill have to be more careful in the future about what I buy, but how would you recommend I go about manually setting the timings and voltages? I know how to literally do it in my bios but I wasn't sure if there's like a process that works best. Thank you!
Just go into the BIOS and try different XMP profiles and check that the RAM is running at 1.35V .