Question 2 really good choices!

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Heya,

I am building a PC and can't decide between 2 motherboards. The Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme and the Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula. I am going to OC and I will be using 4x8GB RAM sticks (32GB). My CPU will be the 9700k or 9900k. Thanks in adance!

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
At that pricepoint I'd suggest going X299 unless you're planning on LN2 overclocking or are going purely for visual appearance. The Formula board has a built in waterblock for the VRMs, if you aren't planning on using it I'd suggest the Extreme board.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
At that pricepoint I'd suggest going X299 unless you're planning on LN2 overclocking or are going purely for visual appearance. The Formula board has a built in waterblock for the VRMs, if you aren't planning on using it I'd suggest the Extreme board.

I mean I might use it but idk. Is it worth cooling them or should they be all good being a high end board? I am thinking of just getting the Extreme

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I mean I might use it but idk. Is it worth cooling them or should they be all good being a high end board? I am thinking of just getting the Extreme
Honestly buying a cheaper board would save you a lot of money that you could spend on a nice AIO or get started with a custom loop, and get a 9900KS or something special as opposed to a 9700K.

Which one of two are you leaning on? Outside of LN2 or extreme cooling, the Extreme isn't going to provide any better performance than the formula. They just stack on all the extra feature to the Extreme. That said, the VRM design is better on the Extreme, so it will run a bit cooler and likely more efficient. The Hero, Code, and Formula all use the same VRM design. Formula does have build-in VRM block if you wanted to utilize it. That said, I'm using the XI Code myself, and very happy with it. Runs my 9900K at 5.1Ghz, though set to 5.0 for AVX. Your RAM choice will be fine with either selection.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Which one of two are you leaning on? Outside of LN2 or extreme cooling, the Extreme isn't going to provide any better performance than the formula. They just stack on all the extra feature to the Extreme. That said, the VRM design is better on the Extreme, so it will run a bit cooler and likely more efficient. The Hero, Code, and Formula all use the same VRM design. Formula does have build-in VRM block if you wanted to utilize it. That said, I'm using the XI Code myself, and very happy with it. Runs my 9900K at 5.1Ghz, though set to 5.0 for AVX. Your RAM choice will be fine with either selection.

Finally someone who answered really well lmfao. Umm I was leaning towards the Extreme because of the VRM design and the looks in general. I heard that the VRM's on the Hero were pretty bad but hey idk. I think I will go with the Extreme and 9900k

Sounds like a plan. Just wanted to mention you shouldn't expect extra performance because of it. Bit cooler VRMs and all the bells and whistles, looks, ect. on the Extreme On side note, VRM fiasco is blown way out of proportions for Hero and others for most use scenarios. Average user would never notice. Think outside of full stresstest, my XI Code has VRM temps in 40Cs somewhere, havent bothered checking since dialing in OC. Code has better VRM heatsink than Hero I believe. This is with decent airflow from low speed case fans. Either way, both models you are considering are great choices.

TRENDING THREADS