Sep 11, 2019
I am somewhat capable but not extremely technical and would appreciate help. I would like to have 2 networks in the same house, using 2 routers on the same internet connection. Both routers are TP-Link, one is the Archer A7 and the other is Archer C7. I do not need 2 routers using the same network, or to extend a network... I need 2 different wifi networks. One will be a private network with a VPN and the other is an open guest network.

GOAL: 2 separate networks using 2 routers, with 1 modem

CURRENT SET-UP:
Cable modem connected via ethernet to Router #1. This network works fine. Upstairs a cable comes out of the wall thru one hole, and runs back into the wall into another hole, and this same hole has an ethernet cord coming of it. This ethernet is plugged into Router #2. No internet automatically on Router #2.

HOW FAR I HAVE GOTTEN WITH NETWORKING:
  • Router #1 (Archer A7): dynamic IP
  • Router #2 (Archer C7): static IP set to the exact same IP as Router #1
I really do not know what to do from here. I know the second router needs to have certain settings adjusted, and this is where I need help.

THANKS

Solution
Why not just buy a decent router such as the ASUS AC88. You can have separate secure SSIDs on 2.4ghz and 5ghz, and then a separate guest network.

It also has built in VPN client capability for OpenVPN, PP2P and L2TP and once set up you can specifically configure which connected devices packets are routed through the VPN tunnel, and which go via your normal service.

It's quick too.

svalbaard

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Why not just buy a decent router such as the ASUS AC88. You can have separate secure SSIDs on 2.4ghz and 5ghz, and then a separate guest network.

It also has built in VPN client capability for OpenVPN, PP2P and L2TP and once set up you can specifically configure which connected devices packets are routed through the VPN tunnel, and which go via your normal service.

It's quick too.

Solution
Sep 11, 2019
We need better coverage for upstairs, and I wanted to keep the downstairs router open and basic, but making the upstairs network private and with a VPN or DNS unlocator service.

I have to use the routers I have, cannot buy the ASUS AC88 right now.

Start simple you will get nowhere until you get the cable you have upstairs somehow connected to the router downstairs. Just plug a pc into it and when it get internet properly you can take the next step of setting up the second router. There is little us here on a forum can do to help you investigate cables in your house.