[SOLVED] 2 routers on same home network ?

Infael

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
I've researched having 2 routers on the same network. The 2nd router seems to require being plugged into the 1st router's LAN port.

I would need to have a router per floor so the above solution won't work. Wireless will not work, either.

Is there a way to have a router per floor without having to be physically connected?

Solution
You need some kinda of wire. If the wifi connection to the main router is poor it does not really matter what device you use to connect to it. It is unlikely the laptop wifi is defective but most laptops you can replace the wifi card without huge difficultly.

Best if you can get ethernet cable run. Next you would consider MoCA if you have coax tv cable. You could also consider powerline networks, you want to use the newer av2-1000 or av2-2000.

USAFRet

Titan
I've researched having 2routers on the same network. The 2nd router seems to require being plugged into the 1st router's LAN port.

I would need to have a router per floor so the above solution won't work. Wireless will not work, either.

Is there a way to have a router per floor without having to be physically connected?
3 options:
  1. Physically connected via Cat5e
  2. WiFi. Poor solution
  3. 2 individual accounts and wiring from the ISP.

Please give us some details on the setup and requirement.

Infael

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2013
My office will be downstairs while wife's will be upstairs. She video conferences a lot and her laptop wireless keeps crapping out. I keep fixing it and I've no idea why that Dell keeps dropping wireless connection. I keep telling her to get a new laptop but she's just too cheap to get a new one.

You need some kinda of wire. If the wifi connection to the main router is poor it does not really matter what device you use to connect to it. It is unlikely the laptop wifi is defective but most laptops you can replace the wifi card without huge difficultly.

Best if you can get ethernet cable run. Next you would consider MoCA if you have coax tv cable. You could also consider powerline networks, you want to use the newer av2-1000 or av2-2000.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution
Jun 6, 2021
the only solution is only cable,cuz they're tend to be less laggy and interfere with each other 2,4GHz.

once i've successed do the same as you,but it cost more than regular router.
im use tenda ac10u as 5GHz receiver (WISP/Cilent) and my Nighawk R7000 as my main router.
its fast cuz no other 5GHz interfere here,but i use cable right now cuz the speed are not as fast as cable,on peak with lan,its about 900+ to 1gbps

the things it,use another frequency that not on the crowded one,if possible,use cable instead.

hope it helps