2 routers on same network to extend access??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Av4fun2011

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I have a e4200 Linksys upstairs and the range in parts of house is weak weak. I need more access points. Can I add another router downstairs on another cat5 and make it act as access point? What other options?

Solution
go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1. Type exit to close the black form.

connect only a computer to the router you are trying to convert to a AP and log in

set up the wireless security

disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to match your Gateway's IP but ending in .253

now connect one of the four LAN port to the main router via network cable.
go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.1.1. Type exit to close the black form.

connect only a computer to the router you are trying to convert to a AP and log in

set up the wireless security

disable DHCP and change the LAN IP to match your Gateway's IP but ending in .253

now connect one of the four LAN port to the main router via network cable.

Solution

Av4fun2011

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Emerald,
Thank you!! I have been looking for a solution and this sounds best. My Router is upstairs and I have cat 5 coming from it downstairs where I want the new AP.

I was not sure how to do it or if it was possible, so I thought i would ask. I am happy to get your help. So, to be clear for me:
-Get a second dual band router and hardwire it to the main router upstairs.
-I would like to use the 5GHz or 2.4GHz from the new AP. Sounds possible?
-login to my new router and disable DHCP and change LAN IP ending in .253
-after connecting the new AP to my Main router I should have 2 channels of wireless also emitting from downstairs?

I have a Linksys e4200. Will any dual band work for the 2nd AP?

Status
Not open for further replies.