amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Okay here is my dilema, My House is 2 stories high and my dad's business is downstairs so, that is where the router is. Now he has 3 computers down there and is going to buy a 4th one. So all the ethernet ports on the router are going to be used up. Now I have a computer and a 360 in my room(upstairs) so I want to put a router in my room and have a hard wired connection for my 360 and PC. I use a USB Wireless Module for my PC(Netgear WGIII v2) and its a little slow. I mean if I want to watch a 1080P video on Youtube, it buffers a lot but downstairs with a wired connection, it loads a 10 minute video in 1080P in 2 minutes. So can I have a 2nd router in my room? Because right now if I want to play on XBL, I have to disable my PC's internet, borrow my sisters laptop and bridge connections on her PC. I put all the specs your would need like all the PC's in our house. Some we no longer use. Here is a picture of my house with the routers in it. Please dont judge my drawing abilities : P Also I put my internet speeds.

Router:

Linksys WRT54G

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cisco+Linksys+-+Factory-Refurbished+Wireless-G+Broadband+Router+with+4-Port+Ethernet+Switch/9361228.p?id=1218091194053&skuId=9361228&st=WRT54G&cp=1&lp=1

PC's:

Custom Built PC(mine)

Dell XPS 420

Compaq Presario X2(1 we dont use)

Sony Viao

Toshiba Sattelite

Custom Built PC #2

I have a router lying around which I might use. Its this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+802.11g+Wireless+Router/5507043.p?id=1051826245223&skuId=5507043

So if you can help me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

"Now he has 3 computers down there and is going to buy a 4th one. So all the ethernet ports on the router are going to be used up."

This suggests to me the problem is merely the lack of Ethernet ports. If that's the case, the solution is rather simple. Just reconfigure the spare router so it's only a switch and daisy-chain it to the router downstairs.

To reconfigure the spare router as a switch,

1. Assign it a static IP address in the same network as the primary router (e.g., if the primary router is 192.168.1.1, then perhaps make it 192.168.1.2, just so long as that IP address is not being used elsewhere, including the DHCP pool of the primary router).

2. Disable its DHCP server.

3. Turn off its wireless radio.

4. Patch it w/ an Ethernet cable to the primary router.

Now it doesn’t matter which router you use to connect wired devices, they’re all on the same network.

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

well i'd also like wireless internet upstairs because since the router is downstairs, it is kind of slow wireless internet. As you can tell by me 10MB speed. I have no idea what you are taking about static IP and DHCP. Is there a guide or a video I can use?

Is it feasible to run wire from the primary router downstairs up to your room? If so, you could get a cheap switch to add the necessary ports to the primary router ($10) and connect the spare router to the primary router, LAN to LAN. You still need to make those adjustments I mentioned previously, except now you’d keep the wireless radio ON and use a different wireless channel than the primary router (channels 1, 6, and 11 provide the greatest separation).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010400030&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

You’re just creating a new WAP (wireless access point) in your room and using a wire to bridge the two routers. Simple and effective. However, if you want/need a WIRELESS bridge between the two routers, that gets more complicated.

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

no
I dont need a wireless brdige.

TRENDING THREADS