[SOLVED] 2 same ram but different xmp profiles

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Hello there!

When I first bought my PC, I had a ram slot of 8 giga ddr4 3200 from Hyperx. I set the xmp profile 1 in bios, the one with 3200 and 16-18-18 everything is fine.

Now I bought another 8 giga ddr4 3200 from a polish firm. Everything is working fine too, with 16 giga ddr4 3200.

However I can only select the xmp profile 1 in the bios from the first ram, Hyperx(16-18-18). They both work on that command.

But when I look at ram information, the polish ram has xmp profile 1 different. It has 16-20-20. And it's now working on 16-18-18.

Is there a way to select for each ram their own xmp profile in bios? Or only one which will override all others? I don't know if this is good, but so far everything works.

Solution
Thank you for your answer!

I also thought that the lower setting from the first ram slot would be the natural choice.

The bios from the z490 asrock, doesn't seem to have xmp options for each ram slot.

What do you mean with bottleneck? Will the second, more powerful ram stutter, because of lower setting?

Much appreciated.

The more powerful RAM will be fine being on lower speeds, I should say. The less powerful RAM wouldn't be able to clock up to where your more powerful RAM is. So, until you can get some matching sticks (same clock speed etc.) you should be good to run at the lower speed :)

And by bottleneck, I mean that your more powerful RAM won't be used to its fullest potential. It doesn't harm it.
Nov 3, 2021
As far as I know, the XMP profile will apply to all RAM that is connected to your motherboard; this probably varies by BIOS as well. However, I would recommend that you use a lower setting that the more powerful RAM can step down to; it's a bit of a bottleneck, but at least it'll work.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021

I also thought that the lower setting from the first ram slot would be the natural choice.

The bios from the z490 asrock, doesn't seem to have xmp options for each ram slot.

What do you mean with bottleneck? Will the second, more powerful ram stutter, because of lower setting?

Much appreciated.

Nov 3, 2021

Much appreciated.

The more powerful RAM will be fine being on lower speeds, I should say. The less powerful RAM wouldn't be able to clock up to where your more powerful RAM is. So, until you can get some matching sticks (same clock speed etc.) you should be good to run at the lower speed :)

And by bottleneck, I mean that your more powerful RAM won't be used to its fullest potential. It doesn't harm it.

Solution

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021

Oh, I understand. But which one is the lower speed? They are both ddr4 3200, 8 giga each.

The first one, which is older, from 2020 has 16-18-18 and the newer one from 2021 has 16-20-20.

I was scared, when I read the word bottleneck. I thought of lag or stutter. But I'm glad the newer ram can work good also on lower speed.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No bottlenecking happening here, even if there were, it is a misunderstood term.

In this case the new ram is worse, but you have it running at the same speed as your older ram, this is good. Not usually this easy to mix and match ram and have the XMP profile from another set work.

Going from 8GB to 24GB of memory, still dual channel mode, running at CL 16 3200.

3200 is what I have, for Intel it is perfectly fine, for AMD it is very good, only higher end 3600 memory is commonly a match for lower latency 3200.

Reactions: BooTheFearless

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
You've effectively tightened the timings on the newer memory, this is a good thing. You are lucky it works

@BooTheFearless

They are both DDR4 3200, 16-18-18 is faster than 16-20-20 (Lower is better for timings)

What do you mean with tightening the timings on the newer memory?

After I installed the second new ram, I went into bios. The first old ram was running at 3200,

while the second ram was running on 3000! And it said xmp profile 1 for both. You can't select for each.

Obiously this was a mistake, since it came from the factory with preselected 3000 and only xmp

profile 2 has 3000.

So then I selected auto on the xmp profile, and then profile 1 again, to reset the switch.

Then they both work on 3200, but with different timings. Or at least one of them overrides the other.

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Thank you all for the replies!

I am glad that bottleneck won't apear. And yes, I have installed cpu z and it says 1600.

Since they are dual channel that means 3200.

The only problem is, one has 16-18-18 and the second which I installed has 16-20-20.

They are both the same! 4 giga ddr4 3200, 2 pieces each.

I can select xmp profile for all, not for each. So now the newer ram is also set on 16-18-18.

Won't that blow up the newer ram? Or the newer ram is set on a lower speed?

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021
Anyway, I think everything is fine. If something was wrong, it would already melted or the computer wouldn't start.

I was hoping I could select for each ram slot their own xmp profile, because the timings are different.

You can close the tread now. Thank you all for your support!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Since they are dual channel that means 3200.
(Actually double data rate, single channel memory would also have the doubled frequency)

The only problem is, one has 16-18-18 and the second which I installed has 16-20-20.
Yes, the new ram is slower by design, if all the timings are now the lower ones, then the memory is running slightly faster) (Lower is better for timings)

They are both the same! 4 giga ddr4 3200, 2 pieces each.
(A little conflict with what you said before, so you now have 4x4GB of memory)

I can select xmp profile for all, not for each. So now the newer ram is also set on 16-18-18.
(Yes, for whatever reason it just took it and is working)

Won't that blow up the newer ram? Or the newer ram is set on a lower speed?
(No the ram will be fine. The new ram is running a little faster than designed.)

(You might run a memory test like memtestx86 to be sure, but if your normal activities haven't caused a crash it is likely working well enough)

rulerss

Prominent
Nov 23, 2021

Thank you for your help! At first I thought you got it backwards.

Normally, 16-18-18 sounds slower than 16-20-20.

I have misstyped, I ment 8 giga ddr 3200, 2 pieces each, not 4.