[SOLVED] 2 Samsung SSDs slow, both 870EVO and 870QVO, older drives test OK

jimhanus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I currently have 6 Samsung SSD, 840, 850, 860, and now 870EVO and 870QVO. As an example, my older 860QVO will show on Chrystalmark 564 read and 531 write. The 870EVO will score 397 read and 144 write, the 870QVO will score 400 read and 397 write plugged into the same port. These were tested on 6Gb Sata ports. I tried moving them around to different ports but got the same results. Anyone else experiencing this, or have a suggestion as to why these new drives are testing so much lower (the EVO I just got yesterday).

Solution
That would do it. The Intel ports are native, the Marvel ones are 3rd party. Those Marvel ports connect to the SB/MCH via a 1x pcie lane going from memory. That's going to several limit you. I only put slower drives like spinning disks or optical drives on ports like that.

4745454b

Titan
First, what board do you have? You might have plugged it into a sata iii port, but non native ports are going to be slower. You said you moved it around and got the same speeds so it's probably not this. But when testing you need to make sure you are on a native/chipset port and not a 3rd party port.

The 870evo seems like it's way off. Might be bad. See about sending back?

jimhanus

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I found the problem. The board is an Asus P8P67 Deluxe with 4 SATA 6Gb ports, and four 4 3.0 ports. First two 6Gb ports use the Marvell controller, and second 2 use the Intel. The Marvell controller was the problem. Moving the drives to the Intel ports gave me nearly the advertised speeds.

4745454b

Titan
That would do it. The Intel ports are native, the Marvel ones are 3rd party. Those Marvel ports connect to the SB/MCH via a 1x pcie lane going from memory. That's going to several limit you. I only put slower drives like spinning disks or optical drives on ports like that.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS