Question 2-second stutters seemingly at random when running a game off my HDD?

Captain British

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
I've noticed recently that while running games off my laptop's hard-drive I seem to experience these little 2-second stutters when it is attempting to load audio files, this doesn't happen for every audio file but it'll happen maybe once every ten minutes.
This issue seems to exclusively happen with audio, the same issue does not seem to occur when streaming anything else from the hard-drive and the issue stops happening if I move the game to my SSD. This happens across every game I put on my HDD.

The drive itself is maybe four years old. Any ideas what I could do here?

I'm using an Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 running Windows 10 Home with an added hard-drive and extra 8gb ram stick. Here are my specs.

I have tried:
  • Defragmenting
  • Checking power options, set "Turn off Hard-Drive" to 60 minutes rather than 20.
  • Freeing up to 30% of the drive.
  • Making sure Write Cache is enabled
  • Reformatting, formatting drive into two partitions. One for games, one for other things. Didn't help so I went back to one partition.
  • Checking drive health with Crystal Disk Info, hard-drive health is "Good"
During the lag spikes my HDD usage spikes to 100% with a transfer rate of 290-320kbps, however there are several other identical spikes that occur which don't cause the weird little lag spike.

So, yeah. I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next. The drive is a Toshiba MQ01ABD100 1tb and is around four years old, anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
I've noticed recently that while running games off my laptop's hard-drive I seem to experience these little 2-second stutters when it is attempting to load audio files, this doesn't happen for every audio file but it'll happen maybe once every ten minutes.
This issue seems to exclusively happen with audio, the same issue does not seem to occur when streaming anything else from the hard-drive and the issue stops happening if I move the game to my SSD. This happens across every game I put on my HDD.

The drive itself is maybe four years old. Any ideas what I could do here?

I'm using an Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51 running Windows 10 Home with an added hard-drive and extra 8gb ram stick. Here are my specs.

I have tried:
  • Defragmenting
  • Checking power options, set "Turn off Hard-Drive" to 60 minutes rather than 20.
  • Freeing up to 30% of the drive.
  • Making sure Write Cache is enabled
  • Reformatting, formatting drive into two partitions. One for games, one for other things. Didn't help so I went back to one partition.
  • Checking drive health with Crystal Disk Info, hard-drive health is "Good"
During the lag spikes my HDD usage spikes to 100% with a transfer rate of 290-320kbps, however there are several other identical spikes that occur which don't cause the weird little lag spike.

So, yeah. I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next. The drive is a Toshiba MQ01ABD100 1tb and is around four years old, anyone have any ideas?
Replace the hdd with a ssd.

TRENDING THREADS