Question 2 SSDs 1 HDDs. Have to manually select OS SSD on BIOS for boot otherwise I get black screen, no bios, no keyboard, no cpu fan.

Jul 16, 2019
Until yesterday I had an HDD and an SSD with the OS Windows 10 installed in it. I then bought a new SSD, formatted the old one and installed windows on the new one. Everything was great for a day until today. When I boot, black screen, no bios, no keyborad and the cpu fan isnt spinning. Problem is fixed when I clear CMOS and put the OS SSD 3rd in boot order so I have to manually select it on bios each time I boot. If it's 1st or 2nd then black screen, no bios, no keyboard, no cpu fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2019
Okay I cleared cmos, formatted all three disks, installed windows on old SSD, run fine for an hour then suddenly crashed, rebooted on itself but black screen, no bios, CPU and gpu fans not spinning.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Νο. The old SSD was plugged so that I could format it and the hdd was plugged to.

Yes, when other storage devices (SSD, HDD) are connected during installation Windows might put boot / repair partitions on other drives or the one that's connected to the first port on the SATA controller (SATA drive with bus number 0) etc.

That also explains why when you put other drives (the one that has the necessary boot files on it) in 1st boot priority and new SSD as 3rd priority it boots.

Can you take a screenshot from the Disk Management windows when Windows boots showing all drives partitions and upload somewhere and post link here?

Jul 16, 2019
Yes, when other storage devices (SSD, HDD) are connected during installation Windows might put boot / repair partitions on other drives or the one that's connected to the first port on the SATA controller (SATA drive with bus number 0) etc.

That also explains why when you put other drives (the one that has the necessary boot files on it) in 1st boot priority and new SSD as 3rd priority it boots.

Can you take a screenshot from the Disk Management windows when Windows boots showing all drives partitions and upload somewhere and post link here?
I will when I get home. Is it possible that my psu isn't enough powerful?
I have
i5 6500
rx 480 overclocked
8gb ram
2 SSDs
1 hdd
And some peripherals
And my psu is corsair vs450

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I will when I get home. Is it possible that my psu isn't enough powerful?
I have
i5 6500
rx 480 overclocked
8gb ram
2 SSDs
1 hdd
And some peripherals
And my psu is corsair vs450

What RX 480 is this? Yes VS series are not good quality and it might struggle with your system under load. A solid 450W should be OK with an RX 480. I'd suggest you replace that with a good quality solid 550W unit to have some head room and for possible future upgrades like a more powerful graphics card.

Although this is too different issues. If you sort out the boot issue and system still struggles to POST or has trouble under heavy loads like gaming you can look into the PSU issue (if there is one as the unit is faulty or failing) immediately.

Jul 16, 2019
What RX 480 is this? Yes VS series are not good quality and it might struggle with your system under load. A solid 450W should be OK with an RX 480. I'd suggest you replace that with a good quality solid 550W unit to have some head room and for possible future upgrades like a more powerful graphics card.

Although this is too different issues. If you sort out the boot issue and system still struggles to POST or has trouble under heavy loads like gaming you can look into the PSU issue (if there is one as the unit is faulty or failing) immediately.
Xfx rx 480 gtr overclocked at 1380mhz