2 SSD's beter than one?

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
With the price of SSD's coming down, is there any advantage of having 2 SSD's now. I currently have a Crucial M4 64 gig SSD and it's almost full. I'm thinking of going to a 128 gig SSD. If I used the new 128 gig drive as a main boot drive, how should I use the older (but still fast) 64 gig drive. This is in addition to my WD Caviar Black 640 gig spin drive.

Thanks guys.

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Use the smaller drive for the OS and it's pagefile. Use the 128 for applications and application swap, and the mechanical drive for media files and long term storage.

Be sure to schedule ccleaner and also to manually clear out the C:\Windows\Software Distribution\ folder from time to time to keep the small drive free and clear.

*Optional*

You can create a batch file to automatically wipe temp folders and schedule it to run with the task scheduler.

1) Create a new file called "cleanup.bat"

2) Open the file and paste this inside:
rd C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ /s /q
rd C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\ /s /q
rd C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\ /s /q
rd C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\ /s /q
rd C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\WuRedir\ /s /q
rd C:\Windows\Temp\ /s /q
exit

2) Save the file (Make sure the file is named cleanup.bat and not something like cleanup.bat.txt)

3) Automate:

a) Type taskschd.msc into the start menus Search box. Click Create task -> Click Actions tab -> New -> Browse -> Select cleanup.bat thenk click okay -> Triggers tab -> New -> Setup your schedule -> OK -> OK

OR

Place cleanup.bat into the Startup folder in the start menu