2 SSDs in Raid 0 + 1 HDD as backup possible?

megapro

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Hey guys, I wondered if it's possible to run two small SSDs in RAID 0 and have it automatically create a backup on a HDD partition and restore files from that backup if needed (maybe there's a special RAID combination for that).
I'm replacing the old 64 GB SSDs in my brother's and my PC with a 240 GB SSD each and would like to keep using the old SSDs so I thought a RAID setup might be a good idea for that :D
My mainboard is a MSI Z87-G55 and I don't plan on buying an extra RAID controller for that.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: changed title

megapro

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Thanks for your reply. Then it's probably better to just manually restore in case some files are corupted. Or just use the raid for games that can be reinstalled easily if something goes wrong.

marko55

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
To clarify, it kinda depends on what you're defining as your backup. If you're just talking about backing up files (pics, music, videos, etc) and want to be able to restore them by copying em back over to the new SSD if you lost/corrupted them, then yes, your plan would be fine.

To popatim's point, if you're talking about doing a full on image of your new SSD as a boot drive, to be able to restore to a replacement SSD if the new one ever died, then no. You'd want to explore other options for that.

megapro

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

No what I meant wasn't a boot drive/raid. Sorry I didn't make that quite clear in the first post :/ The PC would have 4 drives in total: the new 240 GB SSD as the windows boot drive, the two old 64GB SSDs in RAID 0 and a HDD (3TB) with a 128 GB partition as a backup for the raid. So the raid would be mostly for games that take advantage of the higher speed compared to the hdd and streaming videos over lan. I heard that raid 0 has a high probability that something fails and it has to be rebuild. The backup partition was meant to restore everything on the raid.