Noxious1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
So I originally had a 2tb SSHD (hibrid) hard-drive for everything personal and gaming,
I have now replaced it with a 2tb SSD (evo 860) .

Would you reccomend still having a 2nd hard-drive or just stick to the 2tb ssd?..
personally I'm not a fan of having 2 hard-drives I rather much have the 1 with everything on it makes life easy..
But
I am curious to find out if having 2 is better than 1? in terms of performance or is it the same as just 1 because its a 2tb ssd ?

Solution
I have 2 drives on each PC.

1. Windows only 256gb M.2
  2. Games 2tb SSD

The Home media server has 6 and everything else is stored there including system backups for each PC.

Does having a single drive increase performance? No not with SSD's or M.2 for the typical user, what you do leave yourself with is 100% data loss should a single drive fail.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

2. Games 2tb SSD

The Home media server has 6 and everything else is stored there including system backups for each PC.

Does having a single drive increase performance? No not with SSD's or M.2 for the typical user, what you do leave yourself with is 100% data loss should a single drive fail.

Solution
So I originally had a 2tb SSHD (hibrid) hard-drive for everything personal and gaming,
I have now replaced it with a 2tb SSD (evo 860) .

Would you reccomend still having a 2nd hard-drive or just stick to the 2tb ssd?..
personally I'm not a fan of having 2 hard-drives I rather much have the 1 with everything on it makes life easy..
But
I am curious to find out if having 2 is better than 1? in terms of performance or is it the same as just 1 because its a 2tb ssd ?
I prefer to have more than one disk.
One main disk for OS and Apps and the second disk as a file storage/backup.
It's wise to have your eggs in more than one basket.

Noxious1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Thanks for the replies people :D .

I have a external drive where i back up person files.. photos, music, movies & docs .. is that safer than just the 1 current drive then ?

if so then happy days ! :D

.................................................In Reply too you all ...................................................................

2. Games 2tb SSD

I prefer to have more than one disk.
One main disk for OS and Apps and the second disk as a file storage/backup.
It's wise to have your eggs in more than one basket.
Or 7, like in my parts list below...;)

If you don't like managing 2x drives, then don't.
But whatever you do, you need some space for a backup. That SSHD can be used for that.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I'm confused. How can you have an empty spot in a HDD rack? Not possible. Like having too much fun. Ain't happenin.

There's (2) kinds of people.
Those that backup to an external source and
those that lie and say they do.

USAFRet

Titan
There's (2) kinds of people.
Those that backup to an external source and
those that lie and say they do.

popatim

Titan
I like the Idea of separating data that I don't need to reinstall when I reinstall Windows from stuff that needs to . I simply unplug that drive and reinstall Windows and plug my drive back in when I can. I now have all my non-windows data available (documents, videos, pics, music...) without the need to copy anything back in from my backups.