[SOLVED] 2 SSDs

geeky

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hi, I have a 120GB SSD currently. I want to add more storage. In the past when I've done this I have replaced the existing storage with the new bigger capacity storage and reinstalled Windows onto the new drive.

I don't really want to do this unless I have no choice.

I was thinking I could just add a secondary SSD and use that for my data and redirect my Steam games there too. I would just keep the first SSD as is, as an OS drive.

Is this viable. What are the pros and cons? I'm wondering if this is the best method of if I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
viable? yes.
the major con I see is that 120GB class drives are slower than larger drives, you are leaving daily performance on the table.
the new drive should come with software available that will migrate your entire OS to the larger, faster drive.
if no software is provided for by the maker Macrium Reflect can be used for just this purpose.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
viable? yes.
the major con I see is that 120GB class drives are slower than larger drives, you are leaving daily performance on the table.
the new drive should come with software available that will migrate your entire OS to the larger, faster drive.
if no software is provided for by the maker Macrium Reflect can be used for just this purpose.

Solution

geeky

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
viable? yes.

Ah great, I keep learning. I have been aware that the same brand/model of an SSD can have different speeds depending on the size. But it didn't cross my mind here.

In my case, I'm content with the speed of the current drive and the additional drive will probably only be a 256gb drive. Both are/will be 2.5 inch / sata drives.

Thanks for taking the time to inform 😀

USAFRet

Titan
For Steam games...

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

popatim

Titan
the major con I see is that 120GB class drives are slower than larger drives

This is not true across all drives and given that we have no idea which drives are involved it's probably not wise to presume so.

Also, given that going from a Sata SSD to an NVME one shows little observable improvement to the user, what/how would a few dozen MB/s make a difference?