2 Sticks at 333 instead of 400?

Stunner77

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hi, I just replaced 4 x 256mb DDR sticks 2700 of ram with 2 x 1gig 3200 OCZ sticks running at 400mhz. They installed great BIOS booted up and recognized it but in the Bios it says 2 gig, 333mhz, Duel Channel. Was wondering why they were not showing 400mhz as they are suppose to be.

I have a Dell 4600 with a P4, 2.66 Northwood processor and its FSB is able to read the 400mhz from the memory I believe.

I have read many threads and google'd alot looking for the answer but everyone just seems to have a problem with 4 sticks running at 333 but not 2. So here I am.

Also, I have tried changing the speed in the BIOS but I am unable to move anything, could be the Dell BIOS fault but usually if its able to be changed you can.

Thanks in advance.

Mondoman

Splendid

Stunner77

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Its as I thought Mando, at the Crucial website I used their tool to identify what type of memory my motherboard supported and it said DDR 3200 up to 4gig. So, I gave it a shot at getting the 3200 hoping that the Bios would show it as such.

I guess i'm to the point where I would like to know if their is a way to get past the Dell Bios, maybe flash it to another? If running at 333 is all I can achieve then i'm not too unhappy but as most of you would can understand when you pay for something you want to see it run or be ran at its rated speed. So, I guess i'm at the point where I ask anyone if they know what I can do.

I have tried to manually set it but it seems to be locked, can I unlock it? If so how do I do so? Also, could positioning have anything to do with the ram? I have them in the 1 and 3 spots for duel channeling atm. Could I try anything with positioning that would free something up? Anything, anything at all I am up to try unless the cons outway the pros significantly.

Thanks everyone here at the TGForumz you've been a great help.
Cory

Mondoman

Splendid
As for setting RAM speed manually, it's hard to guess without seeing the BIOS screens or being familiar with that system. However, I would think it should be a simple question for Dell tech support to answer.

Stunner77

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
You would think, maybe I'll give it a shot. Although, I'll probably get some tech that thinks its the ram and not the BIOS.

Thanks for the help, would still like to know if the BIOS can be flashed to something else or am i stuck with the Dell upgrades?

Cory

Stunner77

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Good point, let me ask a different question now. I have been doing a bit of research on this and it seems that my BIOS might be doing the right thing. Please, please correct me if I am wrong cause I am only learning here.

I ran Memtest86+, not to see if my memory was bad but to see stats on my computer. Heres what i got:

Chipset: Intel i848/i865 (ECC : Disabled) FSB : 133 MHz - PAT : Enabled
Settings: RAM : 166 MHz (DDR332) / CAS : 2.5-3-2-5 / Duel Channel (128 bits)

So, it seems to me that my (motherboard?), only supports a FSB of 133 MHz, and that would default my memory to the speed of a set of 2700. I would need a FSB of 200 MHz to see the 3200 that I purchased.

Now, why would Crucial.com tell me that I should buy 3200 if my mobo only supports 2700?

Or, am I completely wrong and is it my processor that has the 133 MHz FSB, and would a faster processory allow me to increase my memory to a 3200 speed.

I am trying to learn here and hope that I am on the right track. So, dont feel redundant to give me a computers 101 session here :0.

Thanks
Cory

Mondoman

Splendid
Now, why would Crucial.com tell me that I should buy 3200 if my mobo only supports 2700?
I'm not sure anyone makes DDR-2700 memory anymore -- all the current DDR modules I've seen are at least DDR-3200. Faster-rated modules can always run at slower speeds, just like a Porsche can be driven at 10mph without problems.
Or, am I completely wrong and is it my processor that has the 133 MHz FSB,
Yes you are completely wrong here :) The FSB is the bus that connects the CPU to the memory controller. For RAM speed, we are concerned with the memory bus, which connects the RAM with the memory controller.
and would a faster processory allow me to increase my memory to a 3200 speed.
CPU/FSB speed is independent of the memory bus speed.

You might want to read through the forum sticky FAQ and an article or two with memory bus/northbridge/CPU block diagrams.

Stunner77

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
I will do that thanks, I figured I had something twisted up with the memory but its just what seemed to be the logical problem at the time.

So, crucial wasn't wrong in telling me my system supports 3200. Also, I have read that sometimes reseting the CMOS battery on the mobo can jump start everything and maybe that will show and let the memory run at 3200 or am I stuck and should I close this forum cause its my BIOS that is holding me back.

Thanks

Mondoman

Splendid
I wouldn't expect the CMOS reset to do anything here, because the memory speed is automatically checked and calculated afresh every time you turn on the computer (in case you changed it since the last time you turned on the computer).

TRENDING THREADS