Question 2 sticks of 8gb vs 4 sticks of 4gb?

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Have an easy question I hope someone can answer, as I can't find the answer through google searching. For my custom PC build, should I get 2 sticks of 8gb memory or 4 sticks of 4gb in order to get to 16gb total? And which one is going to be faster? From my initial research, it seems as if the 4 sticks of 4gb will be faster, but that's just from preliminary research, nothing in depth.

And can I buy TWO separate sets of 2x4gb memory and it work just fine? Or do I have to buy ONE whole kit of 4x4gb memory? The memory I'm looking at: the Corsair Vengeance RGB RS DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory does not come in 4x4 kits. Only 2x8 or 2x4 or other combos. But no 4x4. So just wondering if I can buy TWO sets of 2x4 and be fine, or not?

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
2x8GB is easier on the memory controller to run. Easier to overclock (and 3200 MT/s is an overclock)

These days I would probably target 3600 CL16, and even look at 2x16GB...Probably the last time you will be buying DDR4.

Generally it is best to buy memory in kits. Two sets might work together when purchased around the same time, but there is no guarantee.

Reactions: Haliax68
For a normal pc, ram will only operate in dual channel mode so 4 sticks is of no performance value.

Past that, all sticks must be matched at the factory to operate properly.
That makes a 4 stick kit more costly and harder for a motherboard to handle.

Buy a 2 x 8gb kit.

Reactions: Haliax68

Haliax68

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Thanks for your help everyone! Not only is this helping me with my build, but it's helping me learn more and more about computers, which is the fun part. I appreciate your help