[SOLVED] 2 TB Hard Drive Problems?

henry1803

Reputable
Mar 11, 2019
I recently bought a Seagate 2 TB hard drive off a friend and the hard drive seems to have problems. In the beginning, the hard drive would randomly disconnect from the computer and a whole restart would need to happen. Windows asks to check the disk for errors but when I let it, it takes forever and it barely moves from say 30 to 32% even when I leave my computer on over night. For a while though it was working just fine with no errors but I started noticing some freezes on my computer. My computer was freezing up just opening say Google Chrome and Discord. I would see freezing watching videos to playing games with 100% disk usage on my C/D drive. I removed my 2 TB hard drive (my E drive) and the freezing has seemed to go away. Can anyone assist me with the problems I'm having with this hard drive? Why is it freezing up my system? Why does it take a long time for Windows to check it for errors?
My specs are
a320m-s2h motherboard
8 gb ddr3 ram
amd fx 8300 processor
gtx 750 ti 1gb vram

Solution
I've switched sata ports too and it doesn't seem to make a difference, I don't think my sata cable is faulty as well.

Did you try another SATA cable?

Otherwise, these are the characteristics of a dying hard drive.

Is this the OS drive? What are these "C" and "D" drives? Nobody here is at your computer, so just talking about drive letters doesn't really help us get to your problem. If this is the OS drive, was this a fresh install of Windows? Is the freezing still gone with the E drive? If that's what was causing the freezing, then why are you primarily asking about a completely different drive?

And can you correct mistakes in your specs? I guarantee you that you don't have a Ryzen motherboard and an FX CPU with DDR3...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've switched sata ports too and it doesn't seem to make a difference, I don't think my sata cable is faulty as well.

Is this the OS drive? What are these "C" and "D" drives? Nobody here is at your computer, so just talking about drive letters doesn't really help us get to your problem. If this is the OS drive, was this a fresh install of Windows? Is the freezing still gone with the E drive? If that's what was causing the freezing, then why are you primarily asking about a completely different drive?

And can you correct mistakes in your specs? I guarantee you that you don't have a Ryzen motherboard and an FX CPU with DDR3 RAM. It's always good to know what equipment you actually have.

Solution

henry1803

Reputable
Mar 11, 2019

And can you correct mistakes in your specs? I guarantee you that you don't have a Ryzen motherboard and an FX CPU with DDR3 RAM. It's always good to know what equipment you actually have.
I've tried another SATA cable and disk error still happens. Sorry for the mistakes on my specs I just had the motherboard box next to me without realizing I had another model inside my computer. It's a GA-78LMT-S2. The E drive or the 2 TB drive is not the OS drive.. it's the other drive in my computer that is partitioned into C and D . I'd appreciate if you kept the snarky comments to a minimum because we all aren't tech savvy like you, that's why we are seeking help.

TRENDING THREADS