2 TB Storage HDD - How to partition for media?

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
I just got a new Hitachi 2TB drive to use as my storage for my HTPC/File server (in addition to SSD as OS drive).

The drive is gotto have basically Documents, Pics, Music (lots of FLAC), and Movies.

Knowing the speed difference between inside/outside of the drive, HOW should I partition the drive to take the most advantage of speed? Not sure which media needs the higher speed? I wanna make sure I can easily search for pics/docs, easily navigate music and scan movies quickly.

I was thinking of something like this:

Partition 1 [500 GB]: Docs/Pics
Partition 2 [500 GB]: Music
Partition 3 [1 TB]: Movies

Thanks

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I'm not an "expert," but I do store a lot of files on my htpc/ftp server and I wouldn't use multiple partitions it at all. Just use a docs/pics folder, a music folder, and a movies folder. I'm not really sure why partitioning would increase performance.

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004

Well, from what I've seen, if you dedicate the first partition to docs only, then NO document will be placed at the outer edges of the drive that has a lower transfer rate. So, ALL of the docs whenever stored will be stored on the FASTEST part of the disk drive.

Now, HOW MUCH of a difference that makes, I am not sure. But for instance, the Tomshardware test of 5K3000 3TB shows that it has 130 MB/s transfer at 0-100 GB position, while it DROPS to ~60MB/s at 2.8 GB position... which is HALF of the speed!

Look at this chart:

diagram-Hitachi-Deskstar-5k3000-HDS5C3030ALA630.png

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
That's really interesting. From the numbers, though, they sound like seq read speeds which are less important than random 4k read speeds. Based on the logic of it all, though, I would believe a similar performance drop for random speeds, though.

I do know that 500GB would be a LOT of music.