2 week old CPU unstable after playing game?

Notorious-Makavelian

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I was playing NBA 2k10 last night and suddenly my screen went blank and the computer rebooted for it's self. It then went into the Windows loading screen reboot again and went into the "Start Windows normal" black screen options. When I finally got onto my desktop and checked my CPU tempature monitoring tool it said that the temp was 98 degrees Celsius inwhich I took it off immediately. I then checked the processor and noticed that there was small burnt marks on the surface but the heatsink paste on itseems to be the okay amount. I then mounted back everything and ran it and the temp was 32 degrees at start up but moved back down to 27 degrees idle/small tasks. Any suggestion to what may have caused this.

My System specs (Build)
AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0Ghz
Biostar TA785G3HD
2 GB DDR3 Kingston
Nvidia GeForce GT220

No over clocking has ever been done to the processor.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

>its an amd not an athlon

wut

Notorious-Makavelian

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
The fan is spinning at full speed but when I place my hand close I don't really feel much breeze or anything (unlike the back of the case where I feel cool air pushing out). I must say that the heatsink is really a real pain to seat on the processor but I ran other games (maybe not as demanding?) and never had that happened is it a wise thing to replace the compound or just leave ... any suggestions other than that?

The CPU fan blows onto the CPU, that is why you don't feel a breeze.
Keep an eye on your temperatures. if they increase above normal again, it may be best to re-apply the thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink.

Notorious-Makavelian

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Hmm well the weird thing is it was running okay for the past week and a half and using it to run games for the past week. This was the first time that I've ran NBA 2k10 when that happened so maybe it can be leaning towards that. Then how do I know if my Heat sink is located good on the processor?

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

if your temps are low and consistent.

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

I guess for temperature purposes, running any of the torture test would do. Since you're worried about how high your temperature goes, just keep running until your temperature plateaus and just watch it for a bit to make sure nothing bad happens.