2 weeks after CPU overclock, there was a bang and flash from under my heatsink somewhere. What should I replace?

Edward Jeffrey

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
System Specs:
i5 2500k @4.3GHz OC
EVGA Gold 1000W PSU
16 GB Kingston HyperX (2x8 GB)
2x Radeon R290 CrossfireX
Asus Sabertooth P67

About 2 weeks ago I overclocked my CPU to 4.3GHz, it had been running fine up to this point, in GTA V and other high performance games. While playing GTA V, suddenly the power in my PC cut out, about 2 seconds later there was a bang and a flash coming from under the heatsink, a bad smell but no smoke. I have tested my CPU temperature running GTA V before using Core Temp and never saw any cause for alarm.

After taking everything apart I found 3 bent pins in the CPU socket. There are is no visible damage anywhere else in the PC. I'm sure they weren't like that when I took my CPU out a few months ago. Would this have been the cause of the explosion, or is this a result of the explosion?

I have read that it is possible to bend CPU socket pins back into place, is this safe? I would rather just fork out for a new motherboard thann further jeopardise my rig.

The PSU is less than 3 months old and from amazon so I'm already getting a refund on that to be safe, what else should I replace to avoid potentially frying my replacement parts?

I have a spare PSU lying around (Corsair HX 1000W) but I don't want to try putting this in in case I cause more damage, so I'm not really able to test my components unless it is safe to do that.

If my PSU is not powerful enough for this build, what should I replace it with? And the same question with regards to my motherboard?

Thanks in advance :)

Edward Jeffrey

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
So that won't put my PC at more risk? I'll come back with an update once I have tried to reinstall.

I'm looking at a LEPA G1600W to replace the RMA'd PSU, that's overkill for my power draw right? I really don't want to risk more problems so I would rather overspend than underspend when it comes to replacements.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Yes major overkill. Your first psu was overkill to. I seriously doubt that your psu is bad. It's most likely your motherboard or cpu. I have had a bent pin before and it didn't damage anything. Just wouldn't boot. Take everything apart. Smell everything. If it's fried you will smell it.