[SOLVED] 2 x 27inch or 1 x 34-38 inch or 1 x 49 inch?

Jul 2, 2020
Hi guys,

I have tried to research this for days now and I'm just making things probably more complicated than I need too.

Basically during the day is productivity, coding, PS, websites etc, night time is for fun so gaming it is!

I have an Alienware m15, rtx 2070 super, 32gb ram, 1tb and want to replace my desktop with this machine instead and have at least 2 displays operating, they have to be running at a decent refresh rate even in PBP mode which I know for example is throttled to 60hz on the new 49 inch monitor (apparently).

Some examples I've looked at are: (budget around £1300)

27 -

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/2b331e5c would be nice since its 10bit but cant find any to buy

34 -
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-34gn850-34-3440x1440-nano-ips-160hz-1ms-freesy...

49 -
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-odyssey-lc49g95tssuxen-49-5120x1440-va-24...

The more affordable option might have been 2 x 27 as I could have had a less quality one for the productivity and the other for the main gaming set but like the idea of all in one really.

The other thing was 10 bit panels, maybe a thing worth trying to get? Or at worst the fake 10 bit panels, can you at least turn off the 2bit temporal dithering and have it as an 8 bit, my aim is to reduce eye strain and so far I know that IPS, high refresh helps, no so sure of the TD but I read it does impact a little.

In gaming is ms of <2 important to avoid motion blur?

So I thought I'd come and ask the experts cheers

Solution
That 49" model has a super-ultrawide aspect ratio, equivalent in size and resolution to having two 27" 1440p screens side by side. Of course, it costs quite a bit more than what it's possible to get two 27" screens for, though gaming across two screens at once generally isn't practical for most titles due to the bezels being located at the center.

240Hz seems a bit silly on a screen of that resolution though. 5120x1440 is only about 11% short of 4K, and pushing the kinds of frame rates that would take advantage of that refresh rate at that resolution would be impractical even with the fastest desktop graphics card available today, let alone that laptop card. And that's assuming the laptop can even output that resolution at that...
Jul 2, 2020
Thanks for that, would you go with that particular model or have any other recommendations, seems out of stock atm..... also do you know if you can turn off +2 bit FRC temporal dithering, just trying to reduce on eye strain best I can, thanks

That 49" model has a super-ultrawide aspect ratio, equivalent in size and resolution to having two 27" 1440p screens side by side. Of course, it costs quite a bit more than what it's possible to get two 27" screens for, though gaming across two screens at once generally isn't practical for most titles due to the bezels being located at the center.

240Hz seems a bit silly on a screen of that resolution though. 5120x1440 is only about 11% short of 4K, and pushing the kinds of frame rates that would take advantage of that refresh rate at that resolution would be impractical even with the fastest desktop graphics card available today, let alone that laptop card. And that's assuming the laptop can even output that resolution at that refresh rate, which seems unlikely. Gaming at 2560x1440, or maybe 3440x1440 is probably going to be more practical for most games.

Solution
Jul 2, 2020
The only thing I can offer up on a refresh like this is the higher refresh seem to make things easier on the eyes, but my laptop is 300hz and its not possible to get A+++ games hitting the 200's really, I mean sacrificing graphics maybe on the highly optimised games like fortnite but otherwise no.....

I've made a neater shortlist to help, if I'm missing a model feel free to let me know, what do you guys think https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d0c01f96

I've got 38 inch added in the mixes a little, I see the 3840 x 1600 resolutions but I'm not sure if that's a common resolution to be picked up in games or not. Maybe this is better for productivity also?

cheers