[SOLVED] 2 x 6 pin psu into 8 pin gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2020
Hey guys. I recently got a new graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660, upgraded from an AMD Radeon R9 200 series) and I noticed that it has an 8-pin power supply input, while I only have two 6-pin outputs.
Would it pose a problem if I just plugged one of the 6 pins into it, leaving two exposed inputs, or should I get an adapter?
Sorry if this is a silly question.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Well, now I'm a bit confused. According to this, your power supply is supposed to have a 6+2pin PCIE power cable:

WKjWqdK.jpg

-Wolf sends
Hey guys. I recently got a new graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660, upgraded from an AMD Radeon R9 200 series) and I noticed that it has an 8-pin power supply input, while I only have two 6-pin outputs.
Would it pose a problem if I just plugged one of the 6 pins into it, leaving two exposed inputs, or should I get an adapter?
Sorry if this is a silly question.
Thanks in advance.
dont put a 6pin into a 8pin its a fire hazard,samo goes for the adapters.Just buy a new psu that has 2 6+2 pin connectors,so that you dont nned another one if you hoose to replace 1660 with something that requires 2x8 (6+2) connectors

Jun 1, 2020
If I really do have to replace the PSU too, are there any that is recommended? My current one is 500w and most of the PSUs that I’m finding are a bit vague on whether they have 8 pin connectors or not.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If it's not clear if it has a PCIE 8-pin connector, it's not a PSU you want to be using. Any proper PSU will have the specs clearly labeled. Anything without an 8-pin, in 2020, is very low wattage, garbage, 15 years old, or some combination, none of which you want to be using.

The CX Djoza linked tends to be one of, if not the, least expensive budget PSUs worth purchasing. Do take into consideration that because of demand and supply chain interruptions, PSUs are a bit more expensive than normal at the moment.

Wolfshadw

Titan
While I'm not a big fan of adapters, if your current power supply has two 6-pin PCIE power cables and your new graphics card has a single 8-pin PCIE power port, you SHOULD be able to use a 2x6-pin PCIE to 1x8-pin PCIE adapter cable.

Something like this should work for you.

If I may ask, what is the current model power supply you have?

-Wolf sends

Jun 1, 2020
Actually... I had noticed on the PSU cables that the two 6-pins are connected to a molex plug, which is ACTUALLY attached to the PSU. Would it be possible to unplug the 6-pins from the molex and replace them with an 8-pin?
My PC’s case does not make the unit easy to get to, but I am certain it is a “Be Quiet Pure Power L8”. If the sticker is that important, I’ll try to get it out. Hopefully posting pictures from phone works.

Wolfshadw

Titan
You will need to upload pictures to a third party hosting site like imgur and then post the link in a reply here.
If your power supply does not have the necessary PCIE power connectors natively available, then I would STRONGLY recommend replacing it. It wasn't designed to run current graphic cards.

-Wolf sends

Jun 1, 2020
I... oh. Those cables were hidden away into the side of the case. I took a four year course in IT and I’m STILL clueless.

Thanks for helping me figure this out, guys. Sorry for the foolishness. Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to put on a jingly hat and entertain some royalty. Ciao.

Status
Not open for further replies.