Question 2 x 8GB RAM showing up as only 2 x 4GB in BIOS and Windows ?

Jul 31, 2022
I installed myself some RAM sticks I got from my friend. the RAM is DDR3 1600 Ripjaws 2 x 8GB sticks. initially when I started the PC the ram was showing up correct as 16GB, but after a few minutes I received a memory error. I restarted the PC and it showed that I had 2 x 4GB sticks so 8GB in total which is completely wrong. I tried reseating the RAM into different slots and it's still shows up incorrect.

I installed my old ram into the system which is 2 x 8GB sticks of crucial ballistix and it's showing up correctly.

Just hoping someone would know what the issue could be.

Thanks

I installed myself some RAM sticks I got from my friend. the RAM is DDR3 1600 Ripjaws 2x8gb sticks. initially when I started the PC the ram was showing up correct as 16GB, but after a few minutes I received a memory error. I restarted the PC and it showed that I had 2 4GB sticks so 8GB in total which is completely wrong. I tried reseatting the RAM into different slots and it's still shows up incorrect.

I installed my old ram into the system which is 2x8gb sticks of crucial ballistix and it's showing up correctly.

Thanks
Test RAM
https://www.lifewire.com/memtest86-review-2626145
Look at RAM details in CPU-Z and/or http://softnology.biz/files.html

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
I installed myself some RAM sticks I got from my friend. the RAM is DDR3 1600 Ripjaws 2 x 8GB sticks. initially when I started the PC the ram was showing up correct as 16GB, but after a few minutes I received a memory error. I restarted the PC and it showed that I had 2 x 4GB sticks so 8GB in total which is completely wrong. I tried reseating the RAM into different slots and it's still shows up incorrect.

I installed my old ram into the system which is 2 x 8GB sticks of crucial ballistix and it's showing up correctly.

Thanks
Proper bios?

Ram in the proper slots?