2 x GTX295 sli performance issues in cinema 4d

cpriddy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
At work I run a QFX 5800 and I have fantastic veiwport performance. I recently made a car that is somewhere around 700k polys in Cinema 4d. I imported it into c4d at home where I'm running core i7 920, 2x gtx295s SLI, 12 gigs of ddr3, and windows vista ult 64-bit. However my viewport performance at home is noticeably slower. I understand that I'm not running a workstation card built for 3d like the quadro's at work, but shouldn't I still get similar performance from my 2 gtx 295's? It's my understanding that some 3d apps aren't SLI compatible and if that's the case I may actually only be using half of ONE card when in there. Truth to that? And if so is there a work around?

I'm aware that I can use bounding boxes and xref type containers and whatnot but I'd like a better solution. 700k polys shouldn't hinder even gaming cards, especially when they are $500 apiece...

I have to agree but it comes down to drivers being the only tangible difference besides frame buffer. These types of apps require a lot of vram for large models that are common to these apps. Most gaming cards out there are not for 3D work or even eye candy for gaming (good looks) and feature small vram buffers but since I am a gamer that enjoys every thing at there best even they only run 20fps 1GB is no option a requirement. 32XQ aa (sli) does wonders in games while still holding up in CAD.

cpriddy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
The gtx 295's have an exceptional amount of memory on them though, 3.5 gigs for SLI, 1.7 per card, 800+ per GPU. Unless you're talking about something other than the physical memory on the cards.

The memory isn't added together when you SLi/Crossfire cards. So you have a total of 896MB of video RAM

cpriddy

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I asked in our maxon if c4d worked with it at all, they said no. However, they were looking at adding it soon. So yes, it only uses half of one card I guess........