samy111

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2015
Hi guys! I have a issue. Please help me

And yeah, I have seen that this topic has been touched many times but before screwing up something I would like to know your opinion. I have been reading the manual of my motherboard and there is something that bothers me and I can't figure it out.

(My motherboard is a X99 Deluxe 2. I76800k CPU. Gigabyte 3090 GPU. 1 SSD Samsung evo plus 970 and 1 WD Black SN750 500gb).

My GPU is connected in PCIE slot (1) but is so big that it covers 3 slots so I had to install the ssd in the last slot (5). That slot (5) currently has the Samsung M.2 500gb sdd installed and I want to share it via a new Asus adapter with the WD M.2 500gb.

I understand that this slot (5) may go from x8 to x4 cause my CPU only has 28 lanes, but I'm not worried about that. My question is, will it affect the power of my GPU? It's all I need to know. Otherwise I don't care. I just want to make sure my GPU will still work at x16 with 2 M.2 ssds installed in pcie(5) slot at the same time.

if you know any better way than mine it will be well received. All advice is well received. Thanks in advance!
BWN09dW.jpg

rT276YR.jpg

ngqZwUI.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-6800K Processor

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Slot 5 is connected to the PCH at PCIe 2.0 with a 28 lane CPU. According to that chart it has a full 16x lanes.

Regardless, if you are using PCIe 3.0 drives, the drives are already, potentially, being halved in maximum performance. And since they are connecting to the CPU via DMI, then that is a further chokepoint.

Your GPU should have full x16 lanes.

Honestly though, I think any other slot would also leave your GPU with 16x lanes.

Your best bet might be to move the GPU down to slot 3 and use the top slot for the M.2 drives? Should work according to the table.

Never mind, was looking at the 40 lane CPU for a second there.

Reactions: samy111
Hi guys! I have a issue. Please help me

And yeah, I have seen that this topic has been touched many times but before screwing up something I would like to know your opinion. I have been reading the manual of my motherboard and there is something that bothers me and I can't figure it out.

(My motherboard is a X99 Deluxe 2. I76800k CPU. Gigabyte 3090 GPU. 1 SSD Samsung evo plus 970 and 1 WD Black SN750 500gb).

My GPU is connected in PCIE slot (1) but is so big that it covers 3 slots so I had to install the ssd in the last slot (5). That slot (5) currently has the Samsung M.2 500gb sdd installed and I want to share it via a new Asus adapter with the WD M.2 500gb.

I understand that this slot (5) may go from x8 to x4 cause my CPU only has 28 lanes, but I'm not worried about that. My question is, will it affect the power of my GPU? It's all I need to know. Otherwise I don't care. I just want to make sure my GPU will still work at x16 with 2 M.2 ssds installed in pcie(5) slot at the same time.

if you know any better way than mine it will be well received. All advice is well received. Thanks in advance!
BWN09dW.jpg

rT276YR.jpg

ngqZwUI.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-6800K Processor
Is there some reason you don't use the m.2 slot?

I just want to make sure my GPU will still work at x16 with 2 M.2 ssds installed in pcie(5) slot at the same time.
With 28 lane CPU:
  • PCIEx16_1 runs at x16 mode.
  • PCIEx16_2 runs at x4 mode.
  • PCIEx16_3 runs at x8 mode, shares bandwidth with onboard M.2 slot.
  • PCIEx16_4 runs at x8 mode, switches PCIEx16_1 into x8 operating mode.
  • PCIEx16_5 runs at x1 mode.
Each M.2 drive uses PCIE x4 connection.
To use two M.2 drives on M.2 PCIE adapter, x8 connection is necessary.

So - only way to have graphics card at PCIE x16 mode and use two x4 M.2 drives on adapter,
you have to connect the adapter to PCIEx16_3 slot.

Or - use one M.2 drive in onboard M.2 slot, and second M.2 in adapter connected to PCIEx16_2 or PCIEx16_3.
Since those slots are obstructed, then use PCIE riser cable.

samy111

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2015
With 28 lane CPU:
  • PCIEx16_1 runs at x16 mode.
  • PCIEx16_2 runs at x4 mode.
  • PCIEx16_3 runs at x8 mode, shares bandwidth with onboard M.2 slot.
  • PCIEx16_4 runs at x8 mode, switches PCIEx16_1 into x8 operating mode.
  • PCIEx16_5 runs at x1 mode.
Each M.2 drive uses PCIE x4 connection.
To use two M.2 drives on M.2 PCIE adapter, x8 connection is necessary.

So - only way to have graphics card at PCIE x16 mode and use two x4 M.2 drives on adapter,
you have to connect the adapter to PCIEx16_3 slot.

Or - use one M.2 drive in onboard M.2 slot, and second M.2 in adapter connected to PCIEx16_2 or PCIEx16_3.
Since those slots are obstructed, then use PCIE riser cable.
The GPU is connected to slot 1 and slots 2 and 3 are currently covered by it cause it's quite big.

I thought slot 5 had at least x8... I don't know what to do really.