2 x Noctua 140mm vs. 200mm fan (Intake)

soldier9599

Reputable
May 14, 2014
2 x Noctua NF-A14: 2 x 82.5 CFM = 165 CFM
Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm: 110 CFM
NZXT FN-200RB 200mm: 166 CFM
BitFenix Spectre Pro 200mm: 148 CFM

NZXT and BitFenix are close in CFM to two Noctuas, but only the Cooler Master has reviews that can compete with Noctua. The ability to provide enough CFM is more important than noise, but if they can all push enough and never max out, then I guess what really matters is which is quietest while applying the necessary pressure. Supposedly a single 200mm fan should be quieter than two 140mm fans, but then again Noctuas are pretty quiet.

Ignoring price and appearance, what would you choose?

Solution
Noctua 140mm fans are excellent quality.
I would pick them and use the included low noise adapters to reduce the rpm if necessary to get the noise down.

soldier9599

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Thanks for your replies. I'm definitely leaning towards Noctua. It seems like most people agree bigger fans are usually quieter because you can have lower RPM for the same CFM, but I guess Noctua 140mm fans might just be so much better than any 200mm fan that it's worth getting smaller. I just wished they made the 200mm fan they promised.

The 200m Noctua fan was at Computex this year. I will say that the 140mm Noctua fans are not as quiet as their little brothers. I have two and I prefer my corsair fans over them. Once the Noctua's go over 900 RPM they are the loudest thing in my system. I reccomend Corsair AF140 fans over them unless you need the extra static pressure. Noctua is best when it comes to 120mm and below. I have two NF F-12's and they are the quietest things in my system.

The other benefit is that it has two focused air flows, which can help with the case flow around obstructions like hard drive cages. Plus, they are going to be quieter. I am completely sold on Noctua fans. You do get what you pay for, as the saying goes.