Question 2 x RAMs work in red slots but not in black slots ?

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Hello,

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 motherboard, and I have always had the 2 x DDR4 2133 8GB rams installed in the red slots DDR4-1 and DDR4-2. Just for testing purpose, I tried to move the 2 rams to the black slots DDR4-3 and DDR4-4, but the computer starts and stop working for few seconds in a loop. I intend to buy 2 x ram DDR4 2133 8GB to add 16GB to my existing 16GB. I was wondering if it's normal that moving existing rams from slots 1 and 2 to slots 3 and 4 would fail, or is it because of a possible faulty slot (3 or 4) ?

I tried :
  • 1 ram only in DDR4-1 slot, the computer boots up
  • 1 ram only in DDR4-2 slot, the computer boots up
  • 1 ram only in DDR4-3 slot, the computer doesn't boot up
  • 1 ram only in DDR4-4 slot, the computer doesn't boot up
  • I loosen the CPU cooler screws as recommended in some posts, the computer doesn't boot up
  • I carefully check if any bent pin on the cpu as recommended in some posts, there is no bent pin, the computer doesn't boot up
  • I cleaned the ram slots with a tooth brush, the computer doesn't boot up
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. Version F22j

Thank you for your advices.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Read Page 10 of your manual with regards to memory placement.

Loosening the CPU cooler screws just makes for bad thermals on your cpu and have absolutely nothing to do with memory. Your motherboard memory slots are made for dual channel memory so using only one ram will only work in either DDR4-1 or 2, but not DDR4-3 or 4.

It works best with two or four RAM sticks of the same speed.

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Read Page 10 of your manual with regards to memory placement.

Loosening the CPU cooler screws just makes for bad thermals on your cpu and have absolutely nothing to do with memory. Your motherboard memory slots are made for dual channel memory so using only one ram will only work in either DDR4-1 or 2, but not DDR4-3 or 4.

It works best with two or four RAM sticks of the same speed.

Thanks for the reply.

I have read the manual first, and it says that 2 modules can be used in DDR4-3 and DDR4-4 slots, and that it should work without any module inserted in DDR4-1 and DDR4-2 slots. But with this way (2 rams in DDR4-3 and DDR4-4 slots, and no ram at all in DDR4-1 and DDR4-2 slots), the computer doesn't boot. That's why I worry that if I buy 2 more 8gb rams and add them to DDR4-3 and DDR4-4 slots on top of the 2 rams already in DDR4-1 and DDR4-2 slots, it might not work.

Screenshot_2023-01-08_173048.jpg

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
There is something wrong with the second controller. Your computer should boot with a single RAM module in any slot.

So, if you buy two new RAM modules and add, probably you will not have 32 GB of RAM, but the computer will not boot up.

Either replace the mainboard, or buy a new or second hand 16x2 RAM.

By the way as it is written in the manual:
"2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same colored sockets "

kitedili

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
There is something wrong with the second controller. Your computer should boot with a single RAM module in any slot.

So, if you buy two new RAM modules and add, probably you will not have 32 GB of RAM, but the computer will not boot up.

Either replace the mainboard, or buy a new or second hand 16x2 RAM.

By the way as it is written in the manual:
"2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same colored sockets "

Thank you for your reply.

I found a solution. I cleared the CMOS in the motherboard, and the computer booted up with the 2 modules in DDR4-3 and DDR4-4 slots. So I am now sure I can buy 2 x 8gb rams to add to my existing 16 gb.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Thank you for your reply.

I found a solution. I cleared the CMOS in the motherboard, and the computer booted up with the 2 modules in DDR4-3 and DDR4-4 slots. So I am now sure I can buy 2 x 8gb rams to add to my existing 16 gb.
It can work or it cannot work. As you are not using XMP profiles and thus not overclocking your RAM, your computer can run fine even when you are not using same RAM modules in all slots.
But it is better to use identical two or four RAM modules. If you are planning to use XMP profiles it is a requirement.

Reactions: kitedili