2 x SataII to 1 x SataIII

The Flopster

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
Can it be done? (I have no spare PCIe slots). I and I think many others would willingly sacrifice a Sata slot for 6gb's

(no idea why this is under cpu's, sorry I'm kinda new here)

Solution

Uh, the primary benefit of an SSD is not the max throughput, it's the random operations (instantaneous seek, very fast random read) - two things which would still be a huge improvement with...

Dark Falz

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
No, it doesn't work that way.

But you would be hard pressed to see a big difference in real world use even with a fast SSD. I used an SSD on Sata II and it was fine. If your computer is so old as to have Sata II anyway it's unlikely it could make much use of the extra bandwidth.

SATA II maxes out at 300MB/s
Even a cheap SSD can push 500MB/s

So i definitely wouldn't suggest putting an SSD in a SATA II controlled motherboard.
Stick to platters and you won't notice a difference as they can't reach the 300MB/s max provided by SATA II.

The Flopster

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
Ok thanks ... looks like my original idea of splicing cables is also a no go then :)

Now I guess I need to find a new mobo for the pair of shockingly red HyperX Savages I've just ordered

The plan is to eventually end up with a state of the art UHD video editing suite but like many people I have to wait for prices to settle before splashing out.

HyperX Savages will not improve UHD video editing performance.
Why a pair? Consumer RAID controllers with SSDs doesn't really improve performance in any marked way, especially with your use case.

If you'd like to discuss the overall build a bit feel free to reply with your purposed build for UHD video editing.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from The Flopster : "Can I combine 2 sata II's to one Sata III?"

The Flopster

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
"Why a pair?"

A pair as one will be used for system and the other as a dedicated work space, as yet storage will be HDD.

I gave this a little more thought ... I agree the onboard Sata contoller can't do it but I really can't see that designing a bit of kit that can "de-Raid" two (or more) stripes would be particularly demanding as the data shouldn't need processing but just syncing with the Raid controller (PCI or USB 2 could probably handle that).

Ah well, it's probably a non starter now but I wish someone had thought of it when SataIII was fresh.

The Flopster

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

I have put an SSD in my Sata II laptop, believe me there's a world of difference ... I agree the extra bandwidth might not significantly increase my read speeds but it's mostly faster writes I'm after which as far as I'm aware the busses can handle (at least they could with RAID 0).

Dark Falz

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015

Uh, the primary benefit of an SSD is not the max throughput, it's the random operations (instantaneous seek, very fast random read) - two things which would still be a huge improvement with SATA II.

Solution