CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k
MB: ASRock X99 Extreme4
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 2400 4x4
GPU: XFX R7 260X CDF4
PSU: Antec 650 Green
SSD: Samsung 250GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
Optical: LG Bluray

This is my first and only build so I am far from an expert. It has been up and running for right around two years with no real problems. Occasionally I would get a blank screen with no response from the computer and would have to reset by a long hold on the power button. I never thought a lot of it because it only seemed to happen when the computer was idle (never cutting me off in the middle of something) and always immediately booted back up without issue.

Anyway. I went out of town for two months and accidentally left the computer plugged in (not turned on). Upon returning it will not boot or even post.

I press the power button and the led lights come on. All the case fans and heat sink fans turn but there is no other apparent response. The monitor receives no input. The red BIOS A led on the motherboard is lit.

I have:

- Disconnected and reconnected everything(HDD, SSD, videocard, bluray, keyboard/mouse)

- Checked all connections between PSU and motherboard and other pieces of hardware

- Removed all RAM and tried starting with sticks rotated into only one slot at a time

- Removed and reinserted the CMOS battery

- Tried starting with only the motherboard, cpu, and one stick of ram installed

- Removed and reseated the cpu

None of this made any difference at all

Annoyingly, there is no integrated graphics on the mb so it's difficult to see what happens when I remove the video card. The red BIOS led still lights up and there are no other signs of anything different happening when I power up without the video card.

I am borrowing a multimeter tomorrow so that I can test the power supply.

Also I ordered a case speaker to see if that can tell me anything.

At this point I'm just wondering if anyone has ideas about what could be wrong.

Could an electrical storm have fried something while I was away?

I feel like it must be something with the motherboard, cpu, or possibly the power supply?

Any other ideas on what I could do to narrow it down? If the power supply proves to be good what is the more likely culprit between the cpu and motherboard?

Thanks for any thoughts or help with this.

Solution

Sadly not really. you will probably need to test a second gpu to prove this or put your video card into a friends computer to see if it boots up fine

nick_155

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
You could try to boot the computer up using the backup bios and see if that works

to do this change the bios selection jumper located at the bottom of the motherboard
consult the manual for further instructions page 20

joshuacyates

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks for the response. That's something I forgot about. I just tried it and no difference.

Is there any simple way to tell if this could be a video card issue? No integrated graphics or second card on hand to swap out.

nick_155

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

Sadly not really. you will probably need to test a second gpu to prove this or put your video card into a friends computer to see if it boots up fine

Solution

TRENDING THREADS