[SOLVED] 20% off dell gaming pc australia, safe to buy? any catches?

rhazta

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
dell australia is doing a 20% off on their pc

I have never bought a prebuilt pc from a branded company before so idk nothing about it. is it safe to buy? do they cheap out on the hardwares?

Ive been looking to buy a new good quality pc for a while and these specs and price is too good to pass but i need ur confirmation.

only 1 year in home hardware warranty

the price comes down to $1528 usd
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Del...rentrq:535e6eb71710aa6636a716adfff50d56|iid:1

PROCESSOR
9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 9900 (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
OPERATING SYSTEM
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
MEMORY
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz
HARD DRIVE
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
VIDEO CARD
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 8GB GDDR6
WIRELESS
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0
KEYBOARD
Dell KB216 Wired Keyboard Black, English
MOUSE
Dell Wired Mouse MS116 Black
WARRANTY
1Year In-Home Hardware Service
POWER
Power Cord (ANZ)
CHASSIS
460W, Chassis with blue LED lighting

Solution
All the prebuilt system integrators cut corners in the builds, save for maybe the 'big bank' names like Maingear and Origin PC, for example.

1)i9-9900's cooler:
This cpu is about as good as it gets for gaming, but the cooling this thing needs is no joke either!
Most of the prebuilt SI's underestimate the cooling needed for this thing, because they're following Intel's stupid TDP guidelines which only account for the cpu's base frequency - it's a whole other ball game once turbo boost kicks in and demolishes budget coolers.
No idea what cooler is going to be on it until you get it, but once you load up like 8 or so threads - or if the game uses AVX instructions, whatever they have in there won't hold, and the cpu will be forced to drop...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All the prebuilt system integrators cut corners in the builds, save for maybe the 'big bank' names like Maingear and Origin PC, for example.

1)i9-9900's cooler:
This cpu is about as good as it gets for gaming, but the cooling this thing needs is no joke either!
Most of the prebuilt SI's underestimate the cooling needed for this thing, because they're following Intel's stupid TDP guidelines which only account for the cpu's base frequency - it's a whole other ball game once turbo boost kicks in and demolishes budget coolers.
No idea what cooler is going to be on it until you get it, but once you load up like 8 or so threads - or if the game uses AVX instructions, whatever they have in there won't hold, and the cpu will be forced to drop clock speed.
The use of AVX isn't common in games, but they do exist, and can quickly thermal throttle a cpu if the user isn't prepared for the worst case scenario.
To others besides the OP who may see this: I'm aware it's not the K model. Even so, this thing's still going to be around there with the likes of the 9700K in the worst case scenario.

2)460w psu:
With an i9-9900 + RTX 2080? Yeah sure, if the 9900 were an actual 65w chip - and who purposefully fixes their cpu to base speeds, other than for testing purposes?
65w + 280w = 345, 345w + 20% of whole system draw, for leeway purposes = 414w max.
I bet it's closer to 180w fully loaded.
180 + 280 = 460, 460 + 20% = 552w
[FYI, 280w is the power limit of the RTX 2080 Founders Edition.]
They have to be doing the math by Intel's TDP specs, because even with a 9900K, it looks ridiculuous:
95 + 280 = 375, 375 + 20% = 450w
9900K can easily pull over 200w by itself...

Just to reiterate, the above are worst case scenario numbers. The PC won't pull that kind of power regularly.

3)1 Year included Warranty:
Just 1 year? And the user has the option to add 2 more, for a fee? Yikes.
If I were someone who didn't want to get hands on inside a PC, or wasn't keen on the idea of DIY PC building, this would look like a straight up scam. I'd be forced to pay extra for that warranty.

4)IF I'm right about the first 2 points, rectifying those issues will come at YOUR expense.

Well, that's my 2 cents on the matter.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS