[SOLVED] 20 pin PSU with 6 pin for GPU

Dec 1, 2019
I recently bought a used PSU which came in as a 20 pin instead of 24... It has a 6 pin. How safe is it for me to use it in a pc with like an RX 570 or something similar? Would the 20 pin connector melt like the images I've seen on Google?

Solution
I recently bought a used PSU which came in as a 20 pin instead of 24... It has a 6 pin. How safe is it for me to use it in a pc with like an RX 570 or something similar? Would the 20 pin connector melt like the images I've seen on Google?

If it's only a 20 pin and not a 20+4 or a 24-pin and only has one 6-pin PCIe and not a 6+2-pin PCIe, that means it's probably around 15 year old or more and really should find it's way to the e-waste bin.

If you have a new card, even if it's a cheaper card like an RX 570, why take a chance powering it and potentially killing it with a random power supply.

If you're low on gas and find a random container of yellowish liquid on the side of the road that could be gasoline or could be pee...

If it's only a 20 pin and not a 20+4 or a 24-pin and only has one 6-pin PCIe and not a 6+2-pin PCIe, that means it's probably around 15 year old or more and really should find it's way to the e-waste bin.

If you have a new card, even if it's a cheaper card like an RX 570, why take a chance powering it and potentially killing it with a random power supply.

If you're low on gas and find a random container of yellowish liquid on the side of the road that could be gasoline or could be pee (assuming that COVID-19 has killed your sense of smell and tast, of course), do you pour it into your gas tank and hope for the best?

Solution