20 pin USB 3 header extension.

Mar 15, 2018
Hi, I've got a bit of an odd question that I've been struggling to find the answer to online for quite a while.

I have a Gigabyte B250M-DS3H Mobo (which has one 20-pin USB 3 female header) and an Aerocool Aero-500 case which has one USB 3 port that plugs into the aforementioned header with a male connector.
I would quite like to have an internal USB 3 port for various reasons and I'm aware that 20 pin headers are capable of supporting up to two USB 3 ports. So does some kind of header Y-splitter exist such that it splits a female header into one USB 3 port as well as another female header so that I can plug the case's USB 3 port into that extra header? And if something like this did exist, would I want to use it and would it be safe?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Feb 27, 2019
I just received this, not really happy about it...

I tried using this because my case has 2 USB 20 pin male headers and I needed a 3rd for an internal USB 3.0 card reader. As my MB only has one female 20pin connector I decided to buy 2 of these and double split. Which ended up giving me my 3 needed female headers. When connecting my external hard drives to the external USB's everything broke, I can not use all USB ports at the same time. Anyone had a similar result? Would like to know...

TRENDING THREADS