20 sec Screen freezing and an occasional BSOD with the 6950

dopins

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hi, I really need help on this one. When I play certain games, at random times, my computer screen with freeze for about 20 seconds, go black, and then return to what ever I was doing with a message that pops up and says "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". But sometime, instead of freezing, my computer will just BSOD instead. I believe that my graphics card has something to do with it because the message says "Display drivers" lol. I have the most up to date drivers for my graphics card but the freezing prevails. So I have been having this problem for about a year now and just got so frustrated with it. I NEED to know why it is happening and most of all, how to fix it. PLZ help :[

My current specs:
AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core Processor @ 4.0 GHz
ASUS M5A97 AM3 AMD 970 MB
RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W Psu

HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6950 2GB

Corsair Force Series GT 2.5" 120GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM HDD
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout Computer Case

c_h1132

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
did you oc your cpu/gpu/ssd? these could cause freeze and bsod. ive had all these problems before and had to update firmware for ssd, reduce OCs. when your pc freeze the displays driver message could pop up because your pc froze. i had that happen to me and found out it was my cpu OC not being stable after gaming for awhile. so i just down clocked it and worked flawlessy. alot of ssd freezes as well check for firmware update.