20" widescreen by BenQ

dibi

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
There is a very interesting LCD 20" panel from BenQ - FP202W based on AU Optronics . Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a good review, maybe because it isn't avaiable in the US.
Specs:

LCD Size: 20"
Resolution (max.): 1680x1050
Pixel pitch: 0,258 mm
Colours: 16.7 million
Horizontal Frequency (Max) KHz: 81
Vertical Frequency (Max)Hz: 76
Video Bandwidth (MHz): 25 - 182
Viewing angle (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10): 170/170
Display Area: 433.4 x 270.9 (mm)
Contrast: 600:1
Brightness: 300 cd/m2
Response time (tr/tf): 8 (5+3) ms
Colour temperature: Reddish/sRGB/Bluish + user mode
Input connector: D-Sub/DVI-D

As you can see it looks very nice, but how will it be in prectice ? I'm sure it will be great for editing text and such stuff, but I also like to play a game once in a while, or watch a movie. So I don't know what will be better, a good 19" or this one. Any suggestions? :?:

Here are some links:
Review
Forum

jason6789

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Might wanna look at the nec 20WMGX2 first if your going wide screen.Im leaning heavily towards that since it has component inputs,1600:1 contrast and a 6ms response time.The news about the viewsonic 1ms monitors has me thinking about waiting longer thow.

Avat

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Not sure if you've made your purchase yet, seeing as it's been roughly 3 months, but if you haven't I can give you my personal opinion. I own this monitor, and have been quite pleased with it since I purchased it around 5-6 months ago.

The FP202W is used as a secondary monitor and used primarly for Photo-editing, News/Videos, Text-editing, surfing, etc. I've had an opportunity to play a game or watch a Divx video on it, though I wouldn't recommend this monitor if either of those particular uses were the main focus. It's got a beautiful color contrast, well lit when it comes to brightness, no glare, no dead or stuck pixels, no blatant unevenness from the CCFL, and have yet to see any true signs of artifical ghosting. There's alot to be said about the price and quality of this monitor.

You shouldn't have any trouble at all in finding BenQ's in the US, I know they're not sold as mainstream as say Dell or HP but they're out there. A quick look on Newegg.com or Tigerdirect should point ya to some good deals.