Question 200 fps but unstable and stuttering, slow response.

Jul 19, 2022
So my laptop has a problem where it just lag for pretty much no reason. it would get 200 fps on minecraft but stutter or just get like 5 fps for no reason. starting up is slow and sometimes it black screen for a few second. And I feel like the computer lag when ever there is a "new thing" happening. also, holding tab sometimes can just crash the game but pressing tab once and release it will just freeze for a while and then I can play "normally"
I5 9300h
gtx 1650
8gb of ram

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
8gb is kinda low for gaming.
Laptop, you need to prevent windows swapping to the integrated GPU by disabling it in Bios, no other way that is reliable.
What vertical refresh frequency is your monitor on ?
Is this the only game you have problems with ?
You need a good general driver setup for all games, regardless and it is tied to your monitor frequency.

Jul 19, 2022
8gb is kinda low for gaming.
Laptop, you need to prevent windows swapping to the integrated GPU by disabling it in Bios, no other way that is reliable.
What vertical refresh frequency is your monitor on ?
Is this the only game you have problems with ?
You need a good general driver setup for all games, regardless and it is tied to your monitor frequency.
I dont play demanding games. and the bios won't let me change last time i checked it.
but there is definitely something wrong besides the specs.
and its not just frame rate, doing simple stuff can freeze.

Last edited:
So my laptop has a problem where it just lag for pretty much no reason. it would get 200 fps on minecraft but stutter or just get like 5 fps for no reason. starting up is slow and sometimes it black screen for a few second. And I feel like the computer lag when ever there is a "new thing" happening. also, holding tab sometimes can just crash the game but pressing tab once and release it will just freeze for a while and then I can play "normally"
I5 9300h
gtx 1650
8gb of ram
You need to check your system temperatures from when you're playing games, because you may be seeing thermal throttling. It's possible the fan or heatsink inside are clogged with dust. You could run HWInfo or GPU-Z to track GPU and CPU temperatures. GPU-Z is simpler to use to see max and average temperatures on the Sensors tab. Make sure you click the reset button for the sensor data before you start gaming.

It's also possible that you have some new program running in the background like some using up resources that may or may not be malicious. It might even be a Windows update installing in the background. Run a virus scan and also check to see what programs are installed and running that you never installed or never use.

Jul 19, 2022
You need to check your system temperatures from when you're playing games, because you may be seeing thermal throttling. It's possible the fan or heatsink inside are clogged with dust. You could run HWInfo or GPU-Z to track GPU and CPU temperatures. GPU-Z is simpler to use to see max and average temperatures on the Sensors tab. Make sure you click the reset button for the sensor data before you start gaming.

It's also possible that you have some new program running in the background like some using up resources that may or may not be malicious. It might even be a Windows update installing in the background. Run a virus scan and also check to see what programs are installed and running that you never installed or never use.

my cpu goes to 85 celsius at max and gpu goes to 60. I bet its not malicious software because its always like that. can't return it because the sheet got thrown away.

Jul 19, 2022

I checked gpu z, my gpu max tempreture on heat spot will always stay at 60 celsius.
But I bet its not just gpu problem.

The issue may still be CPU thermal throttling. You could try mitigating the issue by using an fps lock from the Nvidia control panel or in game settings to lower your fps and see if you still get the same issue. I would try 120fps max for games hitting easily above that or 60fps for games going hitting 80+fps.

Jul 19, 2022
The issue may still be CPU thermal throttling. You could try mitigating the issue by using an fps lock from the Nvidia control panel or in game settings to lower your fps and see if you still get the same issue. I would try 120fps max for games hitting easily above that or 60fps for games going hitting 80+fps.
cpu won't be throttling if there is almost nothing going on. I still have problems with switching and lagging on my computer