200 Gig Disk not recognised in My Computer

I have installed a Maxtor 200gig disk as a secondary drive. The BIOS
recognises the disk and size and is shown in the disk manager (diskmgmt.msc)
as drive 1 - but it says "not initialised."
However, it does not show as Drive D (or anything else) on the "my computer"
screen.
The system has been updated to SP2, the bios has been flashed, ...please help!

You need to partition and format the drive.

Use disk manager to partition and format the drive(s)

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Woodshavings" <Woodshavings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have installed a Maxtor 200gig disk as a secondary drive. The BIOS
> recognises the disk and size and is shown in the disk manager
(diskmgmt.msc)
> as drive 1 - but it says "not initialised."
> However, it does not show as Drive D (or anything else) on the "my
computer"
> screen.
> The system has been updated to SP2, the bios has been flashed, ...please
help!

miked

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004

how do u have it hooked up to the EIDE channels? How do you have every drive
hooked up and tell me the master/slave config
Mike D
"Woodshavings" <Woodshavings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed a Maxtor 200gig disk as a secondary drive. The BIOS
> recognises the disk and size and is shown in the disk manager
> (diskmgmt.msc)
> as drive 1 - but it says "not initialised."
> However, it does not show as Drive D (or anything else) on the "my
> computer"
> screen.
> The system has been updated to SP2, the bios has been flashed, ...please
> help!

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You should be able to partition the drive and format in disk management,
then allocate a drive letter if it doesn't do it its self when the format is
finished.
Neil
"Woodshavings" <Woodshavings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed a Maxtor 200gig disk as a secondary drive. The BIOS
> recognises the disk and size and is shown in the disk manager
> (diskmgmt.msc)
> as drive 1 - but it says "not initialised."
> However, it does not show as Drive D (or anything else) on the "my
> computer"
> screen.
> The system has been updated to SP2, the bios has been flashed, ...please
> help!

Thanks guys, problem solved