200+ ping at night

Omega-

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
About a month ago my ISP installed a new adapter to our internet. My modem is connected to our router, and the router is connected to this adapter which allows any electrical plug in the house to have an adapter and cord plugged in and receive internet. My computer is directly connected to the router. My ISP told us that there is no WiFi on, and everything is connected through ethernet cables.

The first 2 weeks were fine but about a week ago I started having 200+ ping at night. I play counter strike at night and this makes it impossible to play. I called my ISP, they had me run a speedtest on speedtest.net, and it showed me getting 80+ ping to their location and about a fourth of the download speed I should be getting. They sent someone out and the guy said there were some things failing so he gave us a new box. It didn't fix my ping, but now when I run a speedtest, I have great ping to their server and my download speed is normal. I'm getting 19 ping to their server but 200+ ping on counter strike.They said there's nothing they can do. I've also been using teamspeak to check my ping, and teamspeak says I have 50 ping sometimes, but 200 ping at other times. The 200+ ping only occurs after 8 pm EST.

I tried resetting my ip in windows cmd, but I get an error saying something is disconnected. I also tried plugging my modem straight into my computer, but it won't give me internet. Why am I getting 200+ ping only at night?

Solution
It sounds like they setup you up with powerline networking adapters. Sometimes these work great ... other times, not so much. Like any communication method that uses a shared medium there is the possibility of interference. With powerline, the things that tend to cause interference are electronics like dimmable LED lights (you said this happens at night ... what happens if the lights are out?), some phone chargers, plasma TVs, computers, etc. You want to electronics plugged as far away as possible from the powerline adapters. You can also try putting electronics on surge suppressing power strips because they filter out some interference (you can't put your adapter on surge suppressor for this reason).

Having Ethernet all the way...
It sounds like they setup you up with powerline networking adapters. Sometimes these work great ... other times, not so much. Like any communication method that uses a shared medium there is the possibility of interference. With powerline, the things that tend to cause interference are electronics like dimmable LED lights (you said this happens at night ... what happens if the lights are out?), some phone chargers, plasma TVs, computers, etc. You want to electronics plugged as far away as possible from the powerline adapters. You can also try putting electronics on surge suppressing power strips because they filter out some interference (you can't put your adapter on surge suppressor for this reason).

Having Ethernet all the way from the router to your computer would be the optimal solution, but with some house layouts that is not possible.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS