[SOLVED] $2000 Budget for a prebuilt?

May 7, 2020
Hi, my friend needs a prebuilt because he is unable to build a pc himself. He said he can budget $2000. He streams occasionally and prefers a nvidia gpu. He also has a 750W Corsair power supply that he can probably install himself if needed. Does anyone have some options for a prebuilt?

Solution
He lives in California and is able to go to Microcenter. I was looking at NZXT for him as well. It seems like the streaming one is the only decent one? The options where you pick a game and get a pc seem to be worse parts for a higher price.

I don't believe so, no - at least, not definitively. Some elements aren't optional (aftermarket cooling) and sometimes when there are options, there's no significant way to bring the cost down, as there are limited options.

Example, "Streamer PC" at $1,499
1234.png

Configured, same core specs - aftermarket cooling & a better PSU which pretty much justifies the ~$150 extra.
77777.png

If he wants to do the Microcenter...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Where is your friend located? Assuming they're in the US, one option if they are unwilling/unable to build their own, is an assembly service from the likes of Micro Center or NewEgg. Typically the fee is in the ~$150 range, not insignificant, but allows you to select your own components - Outside of a few parameters, prebuilts don't allow for that.

Beyond that, take a look at NZXT's "BLD" service. They have some ready to go, or you can configure your own.
Example, their streaming PC - Ryzen7 3700X, 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD and a 2070Super): https://www.letsbld.com/streaming-pc
Spec'ing out similar, you'd be looking at right around $1300-$1400 so, in essence, they're just charging an assembly fee, yet have some preconfigured ready to go.

May 7, 2020
Where is your friend located? Assuming they're in the US, one option if they are unwilling/unable to build their own, is an assembly service from the likes of Micro Center or NewEgg. Typically the fee is in the ~$150 range, not insignificant, but allows you to select your own components - Outside of a few parameters, prebuilts don't allow for that.

Beyond that, take a look at NZXT's "BLD" service. They have some ready to go, or you can configure your own.
Example, their streaming PC - Ryzen7 3700X, 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD and a 2070Super): https://www.letsbld.com/streaming-pc
Spec'ing out similar, you'd be looking at right around $1300-$1400 so, in essence, they're just charging an assembly fee, yet have some preconfigured ready to go.

He lives in California and is able to go to Microcenter. I was looking at NZXT for him as well. It seems like the streaming one is the only decent one? The options where you pick a game and get a pc seem to be worse parts for a higher price. If he wants to do the Microcenter assembly service how should he go about that? It looks like you need to pick out parts while talking to their expert.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
He lives in California and is able to go to Microcenter. I was looking at NZXT for him as well. It seems like the streaming one is the only decent one? The options where you pick a game and get a pc seem to be worse parts for a higher price.

I don't believe so, no - at least, not definitively. Some elements aren't optional (aftermarket cooling) and sometimes when there are options, there's no significant way to bring the cost down, as there are limited options.

Example, "Streamer PC" at $1,499
1234.png

Configured, same core specs - aftermarket cooling & a better PSU which pretty much justifies the ~$150 extra.
77777.png

If he wants to do the Microcenter assembly service how should he go about that? It looks like you need to pick out parts while talking to their expert.

I'm not 100% sure on Micro Center myself, as I'm in Canada - I'm only aware of the service, no first-hand experience. Regardless, should be a matter of picking his parts (which we can assist with here) & calling them to order....

Solution