Question $2000 budget, not sure where to start.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Hey guys,

My current desktop setup decided to <Mod edit language> the bed internet wise, no idea why or what is going on with it.

Gonna try to just fill in the blanks here if that is acceptable. Help is greatly appreciated.

I have built a few PCs at this point but I am not knowledgable enough to actually select ideal components.

I have a coolermaster hyperice fan, and a few SSDs I imagine I can re-use to put more towards other components. Also have a new Wifi 6 PCIE card from tp-link.

Approximate Purchase Date: Immediate

Budget Range: $2000 max.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming, CAD modeling and design

Are you buying a monitor: No, have keyboard speakers and mouse as well.

Do you need to buy OS: No I have a windows 10 pro code.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg/Microcenter/Amazon

Parts Preferences:
I've always used intel, not married to it.

Overclocking: Not likely.

SLI or Crossfire: Not likely

Your Monitor Resolution: 1980x1080

Additional Comments:

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Old PC not working.

Last edited by a moderator:

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Thanks for the speedy reply.

How much difference is there in that Processor from what I run now, which is a Core i7, 8700k 3.7ghz?

Is it worth replacing the cooler master fan I have, with the one you listed?

Is it worth using a PCI-e wifi card if the motherboard has wifi?

larsv8

Distinguished
Here is what I can came up with, although I am assuming the modeling is the type of work which benefits from high CPU Core / thread counts. If that is incorrect (Someone help me out here), you can dial back the processor and use the savings on a beefier GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($544.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($179.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($171.17 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X PLUS OC GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB Video Card ($709.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $2156.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-26 13:27 EDT-0400

Sadly I use my desktop for business and personal use. I can do minimal things on it right now such as type on this forum.

It probably cannot wait that long.

Some announcements about Intel 13th generation are supposed to be made this week.

Rumor is that the first available processors will be K series stuff....13600K, 13700K, 13900K.

Retail availability possibly in October?

Non-K rumored not till January?

I don't think it can wait that long unfortunately.

How do you guys decide here what motherboard to go with etc?

You need a pretty good idea of what CPU before you choose a board. AMD or Intel, what generation, what socket, etc.

Decide what features you MUST have..........

how many USB ports of what type do you need?

how many M.2 drive ports do you need? Almost any will have 1, some will have 3.

do you need 4 RAM slots? Some have only 2.

Do you have any over-riding reason to get a full ATX board rather than micro ATX? Most would be OK with micro.

How many motherboard slots do you need for cards...video, audio, whatever?

Do you have any rough idea of motherboard budget limit (175? 300?)

Would you want DDR 4 or the newer-fangled DDR 5?

Do you have intentions of a significant overclock?

I'd make a preliminary list of requirements and then go to Asus or Gigabyte or MSI web sites and dig into specs of candidates, eliminating any that don't meet your requirements.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if only the networking is a problem, you could go with an add-on wifi card or ethernet card for the moment and see what comes out the next couple weeks. what is out now is great and at decent prices but never know what the next month may bring from intel.

otherwisei'd go with as much gpu as possible for the CAD and then decide on the cpu based on the needs of the CAD/modeling software. then fill in the rest such as a ton of ram, storage and then a decent mobo. no reason to get a $500 one but the $79 ones can be a bit lacking.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Wait, you're wanting to build a whole new $2k PC because yours stopped connecting to the internet? I'd start by troubleshooting that. Plug in ethernet and see if that works, or pick up a usb wifi dongle at the store. If neither of those options work, then all you have is a software issue most likely.

If you're stuck on building new and plan on using it for any gaming, I don't know the specs of what you currently have but there's a deal on RTX 3080 right now for under $600.
Don't know about the upcoming CPU models, but I think AMD has the best performance per dollar right now. Decide if you want Intel or AMD.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Yeah indeed, find and solve the current issue and if you still have the money then use that for one maybe two new components like an upgrade, you still get the same excitement out of doing an upgrade after solving an issue as you would in just buying or building new.