$2000 Complete build. Insight/Advice requested.

BurnZeZ

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: Next week or so.

Budget Range: About what the current build costs.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multi-purpose. (With a rig like this, I can pretty much do most things I want anyways.)

Parts Not Required: None. (I hope I didn't overlook any though.)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.

Country of Origin: United States.

Parts Preferences: n/a

Overclocking: CPU and GPU.

SLI or Crossfire: Possibly in the future.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I really just need the build checked for anything I may have overlooked. Of course, suggestions to change things are welcome.

The build.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, I know little about what to look for in a good monitor. I read around a bit, but I think getting the opinion of someone experienced would be superior than trying to rely on my google-fu.

EDIT2: Forgot to ask, but how far will that PSU take me? I plan on adding more hard drives, and possibly implementing a Crossfire in the future, so should I upgrade?

Solution
I would get DDR3 1600 ram, it's only $5 more.

850w is enough for 6950's in CF.

$250 for a motherboard is overkill imo unless you plan on using more than 4 SATA III SSDs or doing a dual RAID solution.

EDIT: For gaming on an LCD there are two things: refresh rate and response time. The best gaming monitors will have a 120hz refresh and a 2ms response time. Unfortunately, these features together mean big bucks. Getting 2ms response time is a lot cheaper than getting a 120hz capable monitor, so what you picked is fine unless you want to spend $400+.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I would get DDR3 1600 ram, it's only $5 more.

850w is enough for 6950's in CF.

$250 for a motherboard is overkill imo unless you plan on using more than 4 SATA III SSDs or doing a dual RAID solution.

EDIT: For gaming on an LCD there are two things: refresh rate and response time. The best gaming monitors will have a 120hz refresh and a 2ms response time. Unfortunately, these features together mean big bucks. Getting 2ms response time is a lot cheaper than getting a 120hz capable monitor, so what you picked is fine unless you want to spend $400+.

Solution

BurnZeZ

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

Ah, thanks on the RAM thing. I was thinking the 1600 was much more expensive for some reason. I'm planning on a RAID 10 in the future, but this is all I can spend at the moment. Thanks for the tip about monitors as well. For now I'll go with these, and in the future I'll probably get some fancier stuff.

EDIT: Upgraded the RAM on the spec.

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
there is two things id add to your biuld if i were you....

1....one more monitor.....cum'on man your only one away from eyefinity.....

2....30gb ssd.....take advantage of that z68chip and use the irst.....it'll speed up your load times of windows and your most used programs five fold!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220532

good luck

bTx

ps.....GREAT choice of gfx card.......that card rips for a 6950!!!

BurnZeZ

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

Definitely plan on another monitor as soon as I get the cash. An SSD as well.

I can't see a $2k build without dual GFX and an SSD

I can't see basing $2k system on a MoBo that doesn't have an industry standard 3 year warranty.

The PSU you selected is Tier 2. There's a Tier 1 (10.0 jonnyguru performance rating) that is cheaper, better performing electronically, quieter, runs cooler and is specifically made for that case. It's the Antec CP-850 about which jonnyguru says you'd have to pay twice as much for something that offered comparable performnace.

Id go w/ the Seagate Baracuda XT on the HD over the Hitachi

I'd take the Thermaltake Silver Arrow over the Noc

BurnZeZ

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010

I switched the PSU, hard drive, and cooler to the ones mentioned after a little information digging. It seem the Arrow does indeed outperform the Noc, and the hard drive you mentioned has a 5 year warranty as opposed to the previous one's 3 year for the same price. The PSU you mentioned is non-modular, but looks like it can't be beat for the case I'm going with.

I do know the warranty on the motherboard is only 2 years, but it's heads above the others.

Thanks for the info.

*Rig updated to reflect changes*